Item lives on multiple boards

I have the same requirement. For me it is mirroring the dates from another board and using automation on the linked-board to manage my content. Another example is with emails from one board and having a schedule on another board with automation to email to those people. Both of these requires the above mentioned.

6 Likes

Hey there,

Right now the mirrored column data is still stored in the original board so it won’t work with the automations and views but this is something we are planning on supporting in the future!

So happy to hear that this is something that many people are looking for :slight_smile:

Let us know if you need anything else!

14 Likes

Please @Becca-monday.com consider a few more things on this request:

1. all the mirrored columns need to have the same behaviour that other columns.
  2. this mean using with formulas too.
  3. they can be modified on any devices Pc, Android, others, on android actually this doesnt work.
  4. we need this mirrored columns to be recognized as the others, to take their functionality to the best!
17 Likes

Hey @Becca-monday.com I’ve got another big improvement you could make to the link/mirror column functionality. You know, just to add to the list :smile:

We have a CRM board with a linked Organisation board. Currently, when I change the Mirror column in the CRM to show the correct organisation, the information only goes one way. This means when I click on the Mirror column for the organisation, this is what shows up…

I want the Organisation board to show that the organisation is listed as a Deal in my CRM Board. But it doesn’t.

Does that pain point make sense?

4 Likes

Dear @Becca-monday.com, I hope this will be fixed soon, we are also using a linked CRM board, but it won’t work with the notifications/app. Can you tell me when this will be fixed or when this will be on the agenda? We are happy with Monday, but making the linked boards more functional (also the formula columns as mentioned by ‘hlopezvc’) will offer a huge advantage in using Monday! Hope to hear from you soon.

@Julia-monday.com, I’m going to try to summarize my own frustrations, which echo the frustrations of everyone on this thread: While monday is very good at tracking, filtering, manipulating & searching data items, it is very limited in its ability to track, filter, manipulate & search relationships between data items. Currently, this is entirely accomplished through the linking feature, and the linking feature has serious shortcomings.

—As many people have pointed out, Linked/Mirrored data are functionally invisible on boards. They do not appear in searches. They cannot be “read” by other fields in the pulse. One cannot use the data for notifications, automations, integrations, or formulas. So if you’re on a board and you want to actually do anything with mirrored data (not just view it), you have to hand copy and paste that data from the mirrored field into a new field. There’s not even a way to convert a mirrored column, or to bulk copy and paste a column, you have to create a new column, then copy the data individually, by hand, field by field.

—monday offers a very limited view of linked/mirrored relationships. The only way to see a linked relationship is to be on the linked board. If you are on the parent board, there’s no way to see an overview of the links.

A use case to make this clear: I do video production. I have a board which contains names, phone numbers, & e-mail addresses for actors.

Then, each production gets its own casting board. On this casting board, I track which actors I audition for each role. There are columns which link/mirror to the actor’s name, e-mail, & phone number.

Now, I might audition an actor for multiple roles within a single production. Let’s say I have an actor named Claire. I audition Claire for the role of the lead. But I also audition her for the role of the lead’s best friend. On top of that, I might audition Claire for roles in other productions (each kept on its own board). So now Claire’s name is linked to multiple pulses on multiple boards.

But if I’m on the contact board and I’m looking at Claire’s name, there’s no way to pull up an overview of all the different boards she is linked to. At the very least, this should be a tab in the updates panel— a sort of “view all linked relationships” option.

Better yet, if there were some way to track and run reports on linking relationships, I could get useful answers to all sorts of questions. Questions like: who are the actors I most frequently see in auditions? In the last two years, which actors have I not called in for an audition (and who can maybe be purged from my list)? Across all productions, what are all the roles in which Claire has achieved the status of “called back”? If I could save that report as a dashboard widget, I’d have easy access to it.

And for my pie-in-the-sky dream world-- if that report could be somehow consolidated and saved onto its own smart board, I could have an automatically updating list of my most frequently used actors. I could use that data set to invite all my most frequently used actors to a party, or to my latest screening. I could add an automation to send them casting call notices whenever I had a new project coming up.

30 Likes

Hey @typo @Charlotte @TheOtherPM @hlopezvc @jirehly @HKILF,

Thank you so much for sharing your frustrations around the linking capabilities and ability to be used in automations.

I would like you all to know that we understand the limitations and are working on adding much more functionality to the linking capabilities. We are also working on adding the support for the mirror column in automations. This second one will take longer as they do not live on the board itself. So stay tuned. :slight_smile:

We appreciate you all sharing your feedback. Please keep it coming.

In the meantime, feel free to share your use case in other areas of the community. I am sure users can benefit from all the knowledge each one of you have. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Justin

8 Likes

Any updates on this feature? This seems fundamental to me. I’m trying to build my system based on a master board that feeds a lot of other boards. To discover that I can’t do automation on linked columns kind of throws a wrench in how I see my workflow going. I’m just getting started at Monday.com (and love it by the way). If this feature is coming soon, I may hold out but if it’s going to be a while I’m going to have to entirely rethink my approach. Thanks for any status updates!

15 Likes

I too would like to know if there are updates on the feature where an integration can be set up to email to an address in a mirrored column. We have a board of client contacts. We mirror their details on any pulse relating to a project and want to send them automated emails whenever the status of their job changes. Having to manually replicate their email into a new separate column is tedious.

Fingers crossed that this can be sorted asap.

6 Likes

@Becca-monday.com @JustinJ
Any update on this? It really is holding us back from using it as our primary CRM. I also rely on automations for email customer invoices. If there was a way to incorporate the mirror into integrations we could use monday.com across multiple departments.

5 Likes

@Becca-monday.com @JustinJ - Really need some feedback here Monday.com, the workflow process is severely hampered without having good functionality around the link function.

1 Like

I just realized this is not avaliable, i was working past week and weekend on a workflow that use the new automation recipes to create items in another boards and vinculate them.

Only to see that when i need to set automation for reminders on the mirrored dates they are not supported by automations !!!

Please in need and update on this, or i will have to change all the designed workflow…

@Becca-monday.com @Justin-Monday

2 Likes

Any updates on this? Seems like there should be some communication on the functionality of linked and mirrored columns since that seems to be the most attractive thing about Monday…until you realize it has basically no capabilities within the platform. I am willing to be patient as Monday continues to improve, however, this issue was first brought up in July, and judging from the replies on this thread, there has been little feedback and few updates as to when we can expect better usability.

I’ve tried dozens of workarounds and outside integrations to try and make this database work in our favor and am happy to have found a group of people as frustrated that this doesn’t seem to work as well as it seems like it should.

4 Likes

Again >>> Any updates on this. Simply, Monday.com needs:

• Formulas to recognise linked/mirrored columns
  • Forms to recognise linked/mirrored columns
  • Automations to recognise linked/mirrored columns in multiple boards

Would love to see a high level roadmap, in which this functionality and other(s) is plotted?

Thanks ~ TN

12 Likes

Hi Monday I am too want ‏ an update whether it’ going to be happened soon , this topic is really important to us . it’s critical component for our workflow it is essential ‏for our communication structure . ‏its really holding as back right now
Would like an update thanks

4 Likes

Hi Monday

Mirrored Columns also dont show in the Forms, please add them to the forms

4 Likes

@JustinJ @Julia-monday.com
we need updates on this needs !!! thanks

1 Like

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to share your feedback on this point. We understand the need for additions like this, and our team is working to continuously improve functionality of the platform.

While I don’t have an update for you, I do want to assure you that I’ve shared these points with our team to review!

2 Likes

Is there any thoughts on the ability to link to different boards within a single column? Maybe this is possible, and I’m just missing it, but this would make for a powerful high level board.

1 Like

Hi @mmaggart,
You can review this post about high level boards to find some inspiration:

1 Like