API Issues with Longtext Column Issue & Time-Outs on Create_SubItem with column_values

Two issues I could use advice on:

1. Longtext Column. I am updating column with string and can type returns/new lines manually in the field but inserting them via the API always fails. Can Someone point me in the right direction to keeping the formatting? I have tried both Return and New Line.

2. Best Practices with subitems. I tried following these steps -

Step 1: Read CSV Data to add to board convert to paragraphs(rows).
Step 2: Repeat thru Rows
Step 3: create_Item using Board ID with about 5 column_values using some row info of CSV
Step 4: create_subitem using Parent Item ID with about 10 column_values using rest of row info of CSV
Step 5: End Repeat

This process always fails on the 2nd loop of Step 4 no matter the column_values.

If I change step 4 from create_subitem with column_values to create_subitem using Parent Item ID eliminating the column_values option, add another step of change_multiple_column_values changing the Board to Subitem board it does not fail.

Any idea why the process with extra step works but the other fails?
Thank you

hi @dean_m

For 1. you can just send a \n in your string. Remember that newlines are only shows when you click the long text column. In boardview the newlines are ignored.

For 2. I guess there is something wrong with the format of your column_values when you use it as an argument in the create_subitem mutation. If you share the mutation we all can have a look :slight_smile:

No idea why I have to triple backslash but this is the only format I had success with although it fails the second time around.

{"query":"mutation {create_subitem (parent_item_id: 3653935425, item_name: \"881485 - 1\", column_values: \"{ \\\"date0\\\": \\\"2022-09-21\\\", \\\"text18\\\": \\\"XXXX\\\", \\\"text2\\\": \\\"WDMK\\\",  \\\"text26\\\": \\\"\\\", \\\"text14\\\": \\\"B - Black\\\", \\\"text1\\\": \\\"CC-QZ\\\", \\\"text21\\\": \\\" (verify) - some text\\\", \\\"text4\\\": \\\"None\\\", \\\"text0\\\": \\\"_XXXX__B\\\", \\\"text47\\\": \\\"CC-QZ_Black_WDMK_17585\\\" , \\\"text3\\\": \\\"3B\\\", \\\"text9\\\": \\\"1\\\" ,  \\\"numbers\\\": \\\"1\\\"}\"  ) { id }}

I don’t think the argument column_values accept simple column values. AFAIK you need to pass them as a JSON. The JSON format for a date column (date0 in your example) is

mutation {
  change_multiple_column_values(item_id:11111, board_id:22222, column_values: "{\"date\" : {\"date\" : \"1993-08-27\", \"time\" : \"18:00:00\"}}") {
    id
  }
}

It works in create_item as simple column values. Do you think that’s a restriction of sub items? Some of my values in the step 3 are that format and It repeats successfully if I remove the step 4 of creating subitems as part of the loop.

Hi @dean_m,

Could you please share the exact query and error you’re seeing?

Thanks!