Attempt to change column values, get an error about pulse subscription

Hi @zweitze!

As a heads up, we generally close our threads if we don’t hear back within 2 weeks or so.

If this issue comes up again, feel free to write into appsupport@monday.com.

Thanks~

Helen,

Sorry about the delay - I enjoyed a holiday. This issue last showed up on June 15.
Further, the board ID is indeed 1207052136. User 13236312 at least has a valid login to our account, the ID was even retrieved with a query to retrieve users. And I am 99% certain that this user was already subscribed to different IDs in that board. And nobody else did the job instead.

The Edit permissions of the board is set to:
“Edit content only in items assigned to them in the user or columns”.
Maybe this is a clue? That particular user did not have edit permission, as he was not assigned before. Then again, the API was not called on behalf of that user, but on behalf of a Board owner.

Do you have other suggestions for logging?
Thanks!

Hi @zweitze,

Thanks for the update!

The issue the developer let me know of is that the user is not subscribed to that particular board. Since it’s been a few weeks, I’m asking him to double check if this is still the case.

Do you mind giving me the URL (I need the item ID) of an item where the user was successfully subscribed to on this board?

Thanks~

Hi @zweitze,

Just an update: our developer checked again and he confirms user 13236312 is not subscribed to board 1207052136.

Once the user has been subscribed these errors should go away.

Hi Helen,

So I did find some items for the same user, that were created earlier, without any problem. For instance:
/boards/1207052136/pulses/1248520129
/boards/1207052136/pulses/1248520205
/boards/1207052136/pulses/1248520238
Activity log of those items state they were created two months ago, and after that the person column was never changed.

But the developer may have a point. Maybe this user got annoyed by all notifications, tried to fix it, and accidentally unsubscribed himself. Is that a valid hypothesis?
(In the board log I could not find evidence of this, but maybe subscription changes are not logged.)

I must say I never thought of this possibility - after all, you can enter any user in the regular UI, without any warning when entering an unsubscribed user. Documentation gave no such hints either.
Still, when you want to update a People column, does that mean you have to check the boards subscribers first, and if necessary add the user to the board subscribers? And the regular UI does all that on the background?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @zweitze,

That does sound like a valid hypothesis, however subscription and unsubscription changes are indeed logged in the board’s activity log!

Re your question: this only applies to Private and Shareable Boards, but yes, unless a user is subscribed to a Private or Shareable board, they cannot be added to any People columns. This is a permissions feature that’s enforced by the platform.

In this case, since the board is Private you will need to query the board subscribers first before adding the relevant user to a People column!

I’m going to mark my previous post as the solution since we have found that this is not a bug-related issue.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.