Auto-ID column (more dynamic)

Hi @basdebruin
im seeing some kind of problem with the autoID app,
some of the created pulses on my board have the autoID and some other dont.
all of them are created via automations: in this case the last 3 created pulses.

This items were created:
25/11 01:28PM
25/11 01:30PM
26/11 08:47AM

The item in the middle has no autoID value…

what could be happing… this is critical to us…

Happy holiday season :slight_smile:

NEW: As of December 24, 2020 you can enter fields in the text box (this text) in between curly brackets {}. Supported fields are:

• {year} – the current year in 4-digit notation
  • {quarter} - the current quarter
  • {month} - the current month in 2-digit notation
  • {id} – the generated ID

When {id} is omitted the generated ID is appended to the end of the string specified in this text. This is the original behavior.

The field {columnid} can be used to replace this part of the string with the value found in the column with the entered columnid.

Warning : {columnid} needs to be the id of a text column (not the name of the column). You can find the columnids by activating Developer mode in monday.com. (Avatar > monday.labs > Developer mode > Activate).

Warning : the {columnid} field only works when the newly created item has a value in the specified column. This can be achieved with: using monday.com forms, using “Item default values” or by duplicating an existing item. When there is no value found in the specified column the field {columnid} will be ignored.

3 Likes

Another field added which you can put in the (this text) box

• {no_overwrite}

This instructs the app to NOT overwrite existing items. It is created because in some use case this might be a good situation. Take care: this also implies that duplicating an item through the user interface will lead to duplicate ID’s.

1 Like

AutoID Column (monday.com: Where Teams Get Work Done) now supports an additional recipe which will generate an AutoID on status change.

There is also a new recipe for item creation, but existing users can still use the existing recipe for that. The difference is that both NEW recipes makes it easier for new user to backfill ID’s values to an existing board.

Have fun with it.

1 Like

For those who have previously installed and working this app.
These new recipes will be avaliable, i mean there is no need to install again dont?=

Correct, no need to reinstall… I know monday is working in app reinstall and version control but it is not there yet

1 Like

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere but I feel like the next evolution of this tool is to incorporate an option to set the scope of the increment of the ID - i.e. Organisation VS Workspace VS Board VS Group.

Is this something the developers have considered?

I would just like to also re-iterate what all you have said, in that it seems pretty wild that Monday.com doesn’t already have a native solution for this feature request…

Hi @basdebruin

Currently on trial mode with autoID app. Have you considered adding “link to item” column to {columnid} options?
It’s also basically a text column.

I’m afraid we are not able to use the app without this feature.

Thanks for your work

hi @peppinob do you need to just add the “link to item” column type as a field?

Remember that the {columnid} does only make sense when that column hold a value (text) at the time the AutoID is triggered. When the trigger is on new items and the {columnid} is not set with default values it won’t work.

Let me know what you exactly need and I will have a look.

Yes @basdebruin we have a “project types board” and a “customers board” linked to our high-level board with two “link to item” columns. In this latter board item name should be in the format:

{id}-{project-type}-{customer-name}-{year}

Let me know if you need more info

hi @peppinob I did some checks and it is not possible to retrieve the data in a mirror column (type = lookup) by the API. So, there is no way an app “knows” the content of the mirror column. The reason is that the mirror column is “calculated” / rendered in your browser.

@basdebruin thanks for your check.
That’s true, i did also some test with integromat: retrieving the column value it just get “linkedPulseId” without text.

I see that if you query just the pulse id you get also “text” field for this type of column

But i can understand it could make everything pretty slow with a lot of unuseful data. As a workaround in integromat i found ok to get first “linkedPulseId” and then querying the text column value in the other board. Do you think it could work for our use case?

hi @peppinob We are talking different things here. What you show is the “board-relation” column type. That column holds the itemIds of the linked items, but it does not hold anything else then that relation. I was talking about the column type “lookup”. This column is a mirrored column that takes the itemIds from a “board-relation” column. It also holds a text value, which is indeed the name of the linked item / column. Let me try to explain:

{
        "value": null,
        "id": "customer",
        "title": "Customer",
        "type": "lookup",
        "text": "Let's Do IT, ABC Company"
      },
      {
        "value": "{\"linkedPulseIds\":[{\"linkedPulseId\":600690019},{\"linkedPulseId\":600685009}],\"changed_at\":\"2021-02-19T19:16:30.893Z\"}",
        "id": "connect_boards0",
        "title": "xxx",
        "type": "board-relation",
        "text": "Consulting Service, 3 x laptop + accesories"
      }

The first one is the mirror column, the second one is the connected boards column. In this example the connected boards column has 2 linked items and the mirror column shows the content of the column values (comma separated) for the column specified in the mirror configuration and the linked items (2 in this case).

If you want just the text value as the field for the column “customer” (in the example above the first object) … this can be done.

I am just not sure we are talking the same things here :slight_smile:

Hi @basdebruin

yes i’m referring to “connect boards” column (as described [here])(https://support.monday.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000635139-Connect-boards-column-Previously-Link-to-item-column-?abcb=50223))

Here I made a mockup of what we need:

But we could also double the name in mirror columns if needed, as shown here:

Let me know if everything is clear now.

hi @peppinob

I found some time to start working at this one. Just to be sure, do you need the “text” value of the:

• board_relation column (in the example above it shows “Let’s Do IT, ABC Company”)
  • mirror_column (in the example above it shows “Consulting Service, 3 x laptop + accesories”)

Let me know, so I can start working on this extra feature

hi @basdebruin

this would be perfect for our use case. Thanks for your time

hi @peppinob

It actually work for both now :). As with the {columnid} you need to make sure you spell your columnid correctly.

This one use the format: {connect_boards7}-{id} WHERE connect_boards7 is the id for the Connect Boards column (which happens to be on the same board)

Then I changed the format to: {customer8}-{id} WHERE customer8 is a mirror column pointing to the connect boards column from above. Then I toggled the status to get fresh id from the new recipe and got this:

Remember: this won’t work on new item creation as at that moment your connect boards / mirror column is not filled in yet. You can still use it on new items if you set default column values (works for connect boards column, not for mirror obviously).

Hope this all make sense to you.

@basdebruin

It now works perfectly for our use case:

Thank you for your amazing work!

1 Like

That is nice. I see you use the option to write to the name field too? Looks pretty neat to me.

This sounds like something I’ve also requested a couple of times regarding job no. refs. It’s essential to be able to relay info, track jobs, invoices and so on. The Unique ID, which is always suggested to me is of no use at all, it might as well be a barcode!

The main criteria I suggested were:

1. Must ‘stick’ to an item/pulse for its lifespan
  2. User-defined prefix/suffix
  3. Incremental numbering from “1” or “00001” etc, we’d need several digit options or ability to choose a particular starting number like “Job_00357” (important for systems migrating to Monday, like ours)
  4. This must be a free addition to the system (it’s a basic need)

This also allows users to sort columns on job number priority and the number refs could obviously have another use other than job refs.

Note. We migrated from Podio to Monday purely for ease of use and all the integration with popular apps. The previous system was great and did what I describe above with ease. This is only the really important ‘missing piece’ of an otherwise great system in Monday.com.

1 Like