Auto-ID column (more dynamic)

I am bringin back this to all… its a must-have feature that not having this is bringing us several pain points! We are using some other old system not-web based to identify the pulses and we have to manually add them to the pulses which is a loss of time…

I see that integromat have some integration in order to do that, but it think this a basic feature that needs to be inside the monday.com platform, and i think its not difficult to achieve.

Can we please have some feedback on this?

@Julia-monday.com
@Ben-monday.com

4 Likes

+100

Pulse IDs are unusable. I can not tell my colleagues, “hey could you take care of ticket 468970376241, please”. It is a database ID for linking objects, not meant for being used and referred to by users. Like in JIRA, I need a prefix and number starting from 1 on each new board, e.g.:

PRSR-1
PRSR-2
PRSR-3
PRSR-4
PRSR-5
PRSR-6

This is also a simple way to know the total amount of tickets that have ever been created for a board.

11 Likes

The item ID is in the millions by now on Monday. Not very usable and not very user-friendly to communicate with your colleagues about the ticket “1346372389254” (you will probably need 20 seconds to spell out the number correctly!)

4 Likes

I requested this last year as we have a numbering system for our projects that is unique to us. The Auto Numbering doesn’t work because it’s not sequential and cannot be customised. I was told it was something that had been asked for before, and was a great feature to have. But nothing has happened with it, yet…

4 Likes

I think all here know that pulse-ID are useless for our use cases, and the only thing that is used for is for monday.com support assistance to solve internal bugs and stuff like that.

I bring to all of you some definitions on identification and trazability, we and other company im sure are ISO 9000 certified, and we must apply to this terms.

Identification: the action or process of identifying someone or something or the fact of being identified. when you identify someone or something this ID must belong always to the same item, it cannot change or be modified.

Traceability: the quality of having an origin or course of development that may be found or followed. This means if you loss your AUTOID associated with a pulse you loss traceability, there is no way to found anything along our process.

Other thing i was told by monday support on my custom and improved ID feature request, was : why not using tags or a number column, or a formula with combined date/time to make a lookalike usable ID. I say NO!, you cannot be identifyng manually all the pulses, because its a loss of time and this means too human errors.

Only thing i ask is an improved AUTO-ID column, that include a custom prefix, but the number must be autocreated and must be stay to this pulse till the end, as same as pulse ID column behaviour works.

Seriously as an user im tired of requesting this and not being understanded, this is a must-have not only for certified company, is for all purposes that needs to identify a project, a quote number, a product serial number or anything…

I hope this to be finally solved, in our company we have to keep at least 2 old software that only give us an AUTOID, and then we continue from monday.

14 Likes

Is this thread looking for the same solution as in Automatically assign number to pulses/items in sequence - #5 by TfGM_Mitchell?

An honest question to the @BrettWD Monday team: how do you refer to pulses yourself internally at the Monday office? “Hey Jeff, whats the status on 36285462?”. Just curious :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Its the same request.

This is super important in software development, to be able to name a branch in git referring to a short ID that makes sense. A prefix solves this.

3 Likes

Great suggestion. I am struggling with unique ID’s as well, as some others have already mentioned - it is crucial to have unique ID’s and to be able to track it if you are working in accordance to ISO 9001. I really hope we can soon see a solution for this.

Thanks a lot!

4 Likes

Hi all and monday team,

Yeah same for me, really need that feature.
Similar to auto id but without update when we move into the dashboard.

Thanks in advance

4 Likes

Hello Monday team, this enhancement would be extremely helpful for our use case as well. Having the ability to track a unique ticket request ID for when a user submits an issue for audit purposes is key to us rolling out to more users in our organization. Hopefully we can see this sometime soon.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

As an agency delivering development work for many clients we are also desperate to see this feature pushed through to help manage our development process more cleanly. As other users have stated, the current ticket numbers are too long and we need a way to pre-fix the numbers with an ID that we define so that we can determine which tickets are in a branch release more easily.

6 Likes

Hey,

Just would like to hear what is the status on this suggestion.
We are in a place where it is the deciding factor for continuing using Monday.com. We have to be able to ID opportunities, projects, customers etc. in a PM tool. Any news reg. this?

Hope solution is on the way.

Best,
Ieva

5 Likes

I just created a separate question about this very same topic, just to learn a few minutes later that it’s an old request from a lot of users.
Now I don’t know if I should feel glad or hopeless. Either monday it’s going to implement it, since so many users are requesting it, or… if many users are requesting it and they haven’t done it already, maybe they never will… I don’t know what to think.

3 Likes

I have created a recipe (through a monday app) that looks like this.

When the recipe is added to a board the user needs to authorize the automation and from that point the user can configure the recipe. Input fields are:

• Preceding text (optional) - like INV-
  • Starting number
  • minimum number of digits - to get something like INV-0001
  • a text column to store the ID in

A board using this will look like:

I want to ask you if this is the functionality you would like to see or that I am missing pieces.

We will put this monday app in our marketplace as soon as monday.com releases the functionality to share monday apps between accounts.

13 Likes

Excellent, ill take a look at this and then i will give feedback.

Such a simple feature but HUGE painpoint for anyone trying to do agile planning in Monday. The lack of a good numbering system makes switching to Monday from Jira all the less favorable.

1 Like

Does this then maintain the numbering sequence going forward without any further user intervention?

Each new item will get a new number as configured (preceding text and number) which will be placed in the configured column. No user intervention at all. If an existing item is deleted the number is not re-used (i.e. there will be a hole in the numbering).

If users are allowed to modify the columns of your board or the content they can still mess up your numbering. In this feature request Write once column I have asked for a write once column to make sure users can’t mess with column data generated by the app.

3 Likes

Hi Bas, dit ziet er goed uit. Dit ga ik binnenkort zeker even uitproberen, als het werkt voeg ik dit aan onze boards toe. Thanks for the post!