Auto-ID column (more dynamic)

This is vital in our team as well, its such an easy done but so complicated to be implemented by Monday Team… Now you will need to look after 3rd party apps and pay extra what makes no sense when you already paying for premium membership. It was so far so good with Monday, but when you face such problems which could be solved easy but aren’t you want to look for other team management tools on the market.

2 Likes

Hi @Linas,

Sorry to read that this is the reason you are leaving monday.com. I tend to compare this with an OS on your mobile phone, there are many 3rd party paid apps that makes your phone just easier to use. Do you abandon Android or iOS for not having every function you need?

I never said it was easy to develop :slight_smile:. For running this kind of integrations you need to have a dedicated webserver hosted on the internet ($$), coding skills ($$), webservices ($$) and a database ($$). The price for this integration (29 Euro) does absolutely not cover the costs of running these type of integrations.

2 Likes

Hi, as the autor of this thread, i have expressed my feelings like @Linas here and you are right about everything you say, and on the other side you have people like @basdebruin who is listening to every need is posted here in communities and trying to see if an app can be developed to solve that (who in my opinion with other people must be Monday.com partners at minimal because they are active on this communities and some times more that Monday.com people).

All positions are perfect, we as Monday pro / premium account users, dont want ot pay more for parts that are missing or not resolved by Monday.com. And @basdebruin and other programmers are looking for a gain based on his time, and internal costs of developing in Monday Apps.

I think this is the beginning of this problems, and the best solution here (IMO) is that Monday.com should be buying this apps to his programmers and complete the areas that are lacking to offer a solid product (no more alpha / beta versions) like precisely this one Auto-Id column, or general Caster, and many more).-

Best,

2 Likes

Exactly 29 euro is nothing compared to what we are paying for Monday.
Your comparison is kinda wrong since the automatic ID was implemented by Monday team it is not a new feature made by you isn’t it? If I am wrong than sorry. Thats why I think it would be fair if Monday could make this feature more flexible or pay you x amount of Money and purchase this upgrade from you. And yes I understand it was very costly and lots of hard work done by you to upgrade this.

Hi @Linas

Not sure which functionality you refer to as “automatic ID”. The standard monday column “Auto Number” does has its own use cases. The one I developed and call “Auto-ID column” is really not a column (it uses a text column) but a mechanism to created an ID that will keep its number forever (even if you delete an item the used number will not be re-used).

I am happy to discuss (lack off) functionality with the community but I don’t discuss any further if it is a good or bad idea to make paid apps possible. Just like I explained above with the smartphone example, it’s up to each one of us to pay for extensions or not.

The price for this integration (29 Euro) does absolutely not cover the costs of running these type of integrations.

Where can one find more information about this 29 euro integration? How it works, and how to get it? I haven’t been able to find it anywhere within Monday.

Hi @Danish ,

You can find this one (and others) at Downloads Archive - Excellent Team The current version is working until 28 August and at that date the new versions will appear automatically in monday for everybody who installed the app through the link. All app features had a trial period of 10 days and can be unlocked by purchasing them.

Unfortunately the version change planned for August 28 require user to re-configure the recipe again as there are some changes in underlying data structures.

Thanks. I’ll check it after August 28 then.

How much of our data is being sent to your server (and how much can the app access)? I assume your server will be storing the “auto ID” value or something?

Hi @Danish

Thank you for your interest. The data send over to our server is configuration data (like boardIds, accountId, subscriptionId etc). For this recipe also the lastid is send over and stored. See screenshot for the table used for this recipe.

Thanks.

That’s not so bad, no problem.

But does the app has access to read all tasks/updates/info-boxes if it wanted to?

Very good question. The app can’t read updates / infoboxes. If your definition of tasks is an item, it has access to this. The authorization of 3rd party apps is not highly granular, below the screenshot of the scope, the one ticked are needed for my app(s).

It’s ridiculous this simple but very USEFUL feature don’t exist here. This is why we don’t subscribe Monday.

1 Like

Hey all,

Chiming in here briefly. We’re currently working a bug where the screen may appear blank / spinning as if it were loading when you try to add an integration. I’ll post again once this has been resolved.

-Daniel

This should now be fixed.

-Daniel

This is one of the key (what I would say is basic) features that makes mondaydotcom insufficient for software development tickets, when compared to tools like JIRA. Managing git branch prefixes with a 9 digit unreadable ID is an unnecessary pain. I hope this is implemented soon, because one of our mondaydotcom tasks is to migrate to JIRA, and it is quickly climbing up the backlog :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@dougpa we’re in the same boat :slight_smile:

Imagine this in the office: “How’s it going with issue eight five one zero three nine six four one?”

@Danish @dougpa

That is exactly why AutoId Column exist, we call is ISSUE-00123 :slight_smile:

It is only a few clicks away

Yes @basdebruin , I’ve already seen one of your (many :slight_smile: ) other comments about your tool, and have already paid for it. However, it is a good short-term “hack” which is ultimately insufficient on the part of MDCOM’s responsibility to still implement it. I’ll detail how:

• your app necessarily requires a heavy permissions load, and access to our data. I can see you’re Dutch (or Belgian), and so I trust you’ve built the integration well to be only shipping what is parsimoniously required. However, that is one more vulnerability in grand scheme of things that go wrong. MDCOM data shouldn’t have to leave its servers in order to get an auto-incrementing field with a prefix to work.
  • Their (MDCOM’s) data model is built around their own item ID. It is a bit more awkward to work with their API and integrate with our systems & processes when working with a non-standard solution. With JIRA, for example, you can link to that per-board ID by simply building a standard url that ends in your chosen ID-scheme. In MDCOM this is the pulse, since, obviously, they have no special concept for an arbitrary text field which your integration makes use of.
  • I don’t feel comfortable paying a third-party for a service which is inevitably going to become keystone for some of my team’s standards, processes, and integration code. Part of the value of having to pay MDCOM on a subscription basis – this incentivizes that the features we grow to use that they support, are continuously supported. Your applet was a fixed-fee, and so were it to stop working at some point, your users don’t really have any convenient recourse. The actual cost ($29 is fine) is not an issue.

The existence of partial 3rd party solutions are simply not a justification for MDCOM failing to implement this in a timely manner, nor communicating for many months at a time on what are its implementation plans.

With all that said, I’m using your applet and its existence in covering this negligence is appreciated! It “does the thing”. Dankje!

4 Likes

Hi @dougpa

I do agree with you that not having this (and many other things) in monday itself is limiting the platform’s value. I would like to address a few (very valid) point you make.

Yes, I’m Dutch. You can trust me I am a lawyer :slight_smile: . No, I am a self employed bid manager who uses monday for over 3 years now. During my work as bid manager I too faced some shortcomings in the platform. As there is always some spare time between bids and monday opened up the platform with the apps space I gave it a go.

Yes, you can consider me as a 3rd party but nothing I did can’t be done by yourself. Compare it to a set of Excel macro’s that you need for some functionality. You can try to convince Microsoft that they need to build this functionality in the Excel core (they won’t listen either :slight_smile: ), you can build them yourself or you can ask somebody else to build them. The world is full of make or buy decisions.

With regards to your data. I will never build an app that requires you te send data to me. I don’t want your data, don’t like it, I am not Facebook :slight_smile: . All I store is a few ID’s (board, account etc) and the last number generated. When you created a new item monday will send me your accountId, boardId, columnId etc. and I will simply send back a number. The apps in the marketplace are reviewed by monday.

“What happens if it stops at some point”. Probably somebody else jumps in a build an even better AutoID, or you need to build one yourself, or monday does not survive the next big crisis, or your company does not exist anymore. Let’s just hope none of these will happen, but if it gives you a better feeling I am happy to to transform the pricing to a yearly subscription.

Good luck with the app and if you see more shortcomings of the platform feel free to reach out.

2 Likes

Let me share a little secret about the AutoID Column, call it an Easter Egg :slight_smile:

There might be situations that you want AutoID to fill the leftmost (name) column on your board. To do that configure AutoID filling a temporary text column (you can add the column during the configuration) and delete the new column after AutoID is configured.

AutoID will recognize that the output column has been deleted and puts the generated AutoID in the left most (name) column. You can even re-configure the recipe without need to create a temporary column again, just do not click on the this column link.

The support tool AutoFill does not work in this scenario as the name column will never be empty.

Feel free to ask for more :slight_smile:

5 Likes