Count like values in a single column + use in a formula (vertical formula)

We are using a Monday Board as a CRM and have customers who belong on teams, but also customers are “solo”. I am trying to create a view using Filters to only show people on a team. I would like for this view to be dynamic, because we are adding and subtracting customers all the time, and filtering by a list of teams would require changes every time someone left or joined.

I am moving over from a Google Sheet and previously I was using a =countif nested in an =if to determine if a value in a specific column had any other rows with the same value - from there I could use that column to filter.

After reviewing the Formulas available in Monday, I can’t seem to find any that support using inputs from multiple items, mostly just referencing a single value in the same item.

An ideas how I can achieve this desired view?

Hey @Ethan, thanks for posting about this! Formulas in monday.com will only work horizontally, not vertically (i.e., not down a single column).

Can you elaborate on why our native filter functionalities wouldn’t work in this instance? If you mark that people are part of a team they will be automatically added to the filtered view: The Board Filters

Hi Talia,

The goal for this board is to require as little manual entry as possible since there are many people’s hands in the pie and there are also about 2000 items to manually update which is not ideal.

Are there any plans in the roadmap to support basic formula functionality to read whole columns or whole boards like countif in excel or Google Sheets? Without this feature, it’s tough to justify migrating a spreadsheet using even basic formulas to a Monday board.

Thanks!
Ethan

1 Like

@TRB-monday.com do you have any updates about this?

Also is monday still not able to work with formulas vertically?? Right now we have basic operations as the summary of a group

However, we would like to use these values as inputs for a graph as oppose to using the values of the individual items in a group. please let me know if there is a way around this

Thanks a ton!!

Hi all, this app https://monday.com/marketplace/101 does go through ALL items in another board to calculate sum, average etc. just like the footers on the board columns. Together with an app called Filter Multiple Boards (not in the marketplace yet) you can filter on matching dropdown values. This gives you a COUNTIF function (or SUMIF) for items in another board. I do understand you probably want to do this in the same board, but maybe you can take advantage of these apps.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.