Creating new item with populated values for column of type "multiple-person"

Hi all,

I have a board with the following columns:

The dev assignee and Reporter columns are of type “multiple-person” and with id of “person”.

I am having a person’s id, which I’m trying to insert in the followingway:

mutation {
    create_item(
      board_id: 3782143770,
      item_name: "New ItemZzzZ",
      column_values: "{\"multiple-person\":{\"person\":[{\"id\":\"36904156\"}]}}") {
      id
      name
  }
}

I get a new item being created with correct title, but the assigned person is the first person in the alphabetic order, no matter what person id i put inside.

So, yeah, I’m quite struggling with inserting a person into the multiple-person column, and I couldn’t find anything in the web which was actually working for my case.

Any ideas?

Regards! :_)

Hello there @danieln and welcome to the community!

I hope you like it here :muscle:

We have columns of type “person” and of type “people”. The “person” column type is deprecated so you should use “people”.

If this is a “people” column, which is the most likely scenario, you can create the item with the populated column value like this:

mutation {
  create_item(board_id: 1234567890, item_name: "My item", column_values: "{\"people1\": \"matias@example.com\"}") {
    id
  }
}

or like this:

mutation {
  create_item(board_id: 1234567890, item_name: "My item", column_values: "{\"people1\": {\"personsAndTeams\":[{\"id\":12340000,\"kind\":\"person\"}]}}") {
    id
  }
}

Let us know how that goes!

Hi Matias. Thanks for your help!

I am attempting to enter the user using the person’s id, in the following way (based on your response):

mutation {
  create_item(board_id: 3712123731, item_name: "My iteM froM api", column_values: "{\"people\": \"36914456\"}") {
    id
  }
}

yet it doesn’t add the person to the newly created item. was the mutation correct?
(considering the column id which i’m attempting to add a value to is “person”)

tried also the second option in the following way:

mutation {
  create_item(board_id: 3782143770, item_name: "My item", column_values: "{\"people\": {\"personsAndTeams\":[{\"id\":36904156,\"kind\":\"person\"}]}}") {
    id
  }
}

regards!

Hi @danieln,

When sending the column_values array, e.g:

column_values: "{\"people\": {\"personsAndTeams\":[{\"id\":36904156,\"kind\":\"person\"}]}}"

you’ll want to change the first reference to “people”, since your column ID is person, to instead send:

column_values: "{\"person\": {\"personsAndTeams\":[{\"id\":36904156,\"kind\":\"person\"}]}}"

Let me know if this works for you!

Hi :_)

I have tried the following:

mutation {
    create_item(
      board_id: XXXXXXXXX,
      item_name: "testing",
      column_values: "{\"person2\":{\"personsAndTeams\":[{\"id\":\"36904156,\"kind\":\"person\"}]}}") {
      id
      name
  }
}

but I get the answer:

{
“error_message”: “439: unexpected token at ‘{"id":"36904156,"kind":"person"}]}}’”,
“status_code”: 500
}

Thanks for helping.

Hello again @danieln,

Your query was missing a backslash and a quote after the user ID. Here it is fixed (I tested it here and it is working):

mutation {
  create_item(board_id: XXXXXXXXX, item_name: "testing", column_values: "{\"person2\":{\"personsAndTeams\":[{\"id\":\"36904156\",\"kind\":\"person\"}]}}") {
    id
    name
  }
}

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Matias

1 Like

Working! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I went insane already.

1 Like