Custom automation for a formula or numbers column

I am trying to figure out how to make my line item move to group [out of stock] when formula column [in stock] is 0.

Right now the formula column [in stock] is numbers column subtract [used] from numbers column [starting inventory] and when [in stock] changes set status to done and clear status column so it goes blank again. As of right now that change to done automation means nothing but I was trying to use it as a trigger for when number is 0 but I cannot figure it out! Help please!

Hi @Johnsa9 - at this time you cannot trigger an automation from a formula column. You can leverage tools like General Caster or Column Magic to cast the formula to a numeric column that can be used in an automation to move the item to a different group.

Thanks,
Mark

Right, that’s why I am trying to figure out a workaround.

@Johnsa9, It was great meeting with you today! I’m glad that we were able to get your questions answered.

Jim - The Monday Man
:magic_wand: Column Magic :sparkles:- the magical columns toolbox app

@Johnsa9 Hi, sounds like you found a solution for this issue in a separate meeting with Jim. Is it the workaround something you are willing to share here?

1 Like

Absolutely, I don’t know why I didn’t post it!
So I added a few more columns and it’s filled out now from the first image BUT here is what we did…

In stock / Reserved/ Used/ Starting inventory are all [NUMBERS] columns
FYI for Magic Columns: if its just a +,-, *, / (a simple math formula) you just enter the formula as you would say it or write it on a scratch piece of paper EX. =SUM (A-B-C) < not necessary! and they are also case sensitive so if you were to use a more complex formula that needed “sum” in it it will only work in all lowercase letters

here are my 5 automations - I will go through them 1 by 1

[monday automation to set up] (my column name) <<

#1. Custom automation
When [column] (starting inventory) changes and only if [column] (in stock) is [greater than] [0] move item to [group] (inventory) and clear [column] (out of stock date)
^^ I did this because if I runout of stock, it’ll be housed in the “out of stock” group but we get it back in again, I want it to move back up to “inventory”

#2. = Magic Column Better Math:
When [column] (starting inventory) changes calculate formula
{item’s Starting inventory}-{item’s Used}-{item’s Reserved}
and store result in [column] (in stock)
^^ this will always keep my in stock number to date based on how many I started with, so if we get more or it moves from out of stock to instock, etc

#3. Custom automation
When [column] (in stock) changes and only if [column] (in stock) is [less than] [1] and only if [column] (reserved) is [less than] [1] move item to [group] (out of stock) and [set date] (out of stock date) to today
^^ when my stock is truly 0 it will move to out of stock, but I don’t want it to move to out of stock if I have 1 reserved still (because technically the in stock column would be showing 0 since it’s counting the reserved as “used”) and then the date so people can see the date we ran out

#4 Custom automation
When [column] (in stock) changes and only if [column] (in stock) is [less than] [1] move item to [group] (out of stock) and [set date] (out of stock date) to today
^^ if there is nothing entered into the reserved column #3 automation wouldn’t populate because of the “only if” condition so I made this automation to be as if the reserved column didn’t even exist.

#5. Magic Column Better Math
When [column] (used) changes calculate formula
{item’s Starting inventory}-{item’s Used}-{item’s Reserved}
and store result in [column] (in stock)

I hope this all makes sense!! Lmk if you have questions or need help setting up your board at all!

1 Like

Hi Carrie now sure if you saw, but did post the process in the comments!

1 Like

Yes, I did see it Ashley! It’s quite impressive. I really appreciate the detailed information you shared.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.