Custom numbering of pulses

@Julia-monday.com we have the same problem in my organization, i think i have already requested as a new feature. we are an iso9001 certified company, and we have to track all of our records, tasks and forms.

the identification of the pulses in monday for any process we do, has to be created with an correlative ID that stays forever with this pulse, not another.

the pulse ID doesnt do that, because is not correlative.
the autoID numbering column should do the job, but if you sort the pulses on any criteria, the numbers originally asigned changed in the way the data is sorted.
introducing manually is non an option, we are not allowed, its inefficient, and can introduce human errors.

I was thinking on 2 options:

1. A fixed autoID column that asign a internal board pulse ID that stays forever with the pulse created (doesnt change with sort of columns).

2. An option to asign a number automatically the first data of the pulse (actually needs to be typed).

I hope this could be done!

4 Likes

Any headway with this? This is super important to us as well.

1 Like

Any update on this feature request?

Also looking for the same thing as the above. pulse-id’s are too abstract and difficult to refer to within a team or to a client that is using the same board. Some thing like [prefix]-[autoincrement] would be great, and of course that it stays absolute and not changing due to sorting.

Just like @hlopezvc described above:

A fixed autoID column that asign a internal board pulse ID that stays forever with the pulse created (doesnt change with sort of columns).

2 Likes

We do it like an author. And this feature important for us too.

This would be huge for us to generate tickets numbers with a specific prefix and number range.

2 Likes

Hey @Julia-monday.com can you update us on this

Hi @Julia-monday.com , is this request somewhere in your roadmap?
/Johan

Hi everyone! I see that our team is reviewing potential updates to the Auto-Number and/or Item ID column to better align with the use cases you’ve described. I don’t have a timeline to share at the moment, but we can certainly keep you updated as we have more information! Thanks for sharing all of these details :heart:

2 Likes

Glad to hear that! Please keep us updated

Hi @melissav-monday.com - any updates since the end of May? We are hoping for something to go through sooner than later. It’s nearly impossible to use this or auto-id to track projects simply bc either auto-number counts every item (versus being able to use it in a formulaic way), as does Auto-Id. Plus, as noted, this ID # never sticks “with” the item as it pushes and pulls throughout. Tags don’t solve the problem in this case either, bc we need inputs from our team members to include the ProjectID information when they submit forms, new requests, etc. and so, it’s truly a hassle.

1 Like

All,

I created a monday.com app that provides a recipe called AutoID Column. When added to the board the recipe can be configured with the sentence:

When a new item is created, generate an auto-increment ID – preceded by this text and starting with this number (with the minimum number of digits) – in this column.

The text column specified in this column will be automatically populated with an ID which is preceded by the specified (this text) and starts with this number. The number of digits variable specifies the minimum number of digits. An ID can look like this INV-0100 or T0001 or anything else you can think of.

It is highly recommended to lock the ID column by clicking the down arrow and choose Column Permissions > Restrict column edit.

When you change the recipe configuration (e.g. when you configured the year as part of the preceding text) you can simply create a new item with the name “RESET AUTOID”. This will reset the increment counter after which you can safely delete this temporary item.

Let me know if this could benefit you.

1 Like

This would definitely help me with my workflow.

Hi @rsweatjr, Richard,

Good to hear. It is still early days in the monday apps world. I am adding another layer of security and flexibility to my apps. Although it is perfectly fine to use the existing app / feature in trial mode, please understand that somewhere in the next 30 days you might need to remove the app and install the version I am currently working on.

The basic functionality will not change, the change is only internal design and security.

I’ve created the function using Integromat. It can be done. But, it is not for the faint of heart.

For most people, I would recommend using @basdebruin’s solution.

1 Like

@JCorrell That looks like a labour of love!

And here I was thinking that you could just retrieve the column values, find the maximum, increment it by 1, and write it to the newly created item.

Obviously there’s more steps there than I thought.

Well done. :slight_smile:

Wow, wish I had that kind of patience to sit and work through that receipe

LOL, Maybe not everybody needs all that…

That scenario has a flexible key format, can include text, the year, and month, counter length is variable and has user defined counter reset trigger. Multiple boards can use the same counter and each have the “key” update a different column. I wanted something my users could use on any board without doing any coding changes. The initial need was one in the for AA{YYYY}{MM}(3 digit counter} (e.g.: WA202007123) with the counter automatically resetting each month.

I thought I’d try a simple version and put this together this morning. Everything is hard coded to a specific board. The counter is stored in a specific item in the board. Once set, the item storing the counter is archived (so it can’t be messed with).

Here it is:

I tried and failed at the Webhooks bit! :man_facepalming:

@JCorrell

That looks much more streamlined, Jim!

I was thinking that there could be scope to use the Integromat Data Store to maintain the latest value that’s been written to a given board.

That probably won’t reduce the number of steps in the scenario though.

Whatever works at the end of the day. :slight_smile: