Date-time API change

:sparkles::sparkles:Hi everyone!

We wanted to announce that our API now supports date-time formatting in accordance with the ISO8601 standard.

This change will mostly affect the created_at and updated_at fields, as well as times stored in the Time Tracking column.

The following types have the created_at and updated_at fields (which will be in accordance with ISO8601 as of today):

• Updates
  • Boards
  • Users
  • Assets
  • Items

One thing to keep in mind: the created_at field for board activity_logs will not be updated to the new standard.

As always, let us know if you have any questions!

Hello Helen,

Were the date time columns overlooked for ISO standards? As currently the API’s return yyyy-mm-dd ##:## and get presented back without any context as to ISO. Additionally they are interfered with by the system according to the user profile settings which are automatically updated according to your physical location?

It’s hard for me to fathom how an application so young was not rolled out initially with ISO8601 as the standards have been around for so long.

Since I can now see this first pass of corrections has happened, is there a timeline for correcting the rest of the application (as this is causing us financial hits when time zone changes unintentionally influence things like our payroll which is being done out of monday.com)?

Thanks,
Mitch

Hi Mitch,

Our date column follows standard ISO8601

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 5.56.11 PM
(Source: Wikipedia)

Here is an example of what the API will return when you query the date column:
"{\"date\":\"2023-02-21\",\"changed_at\":\"2023-02-21T22:50:57.654Z\"}"

Per the standard, time is always expressed in UTC.

Please let me know if you’ve found a column that returns data outside of this standard

Hello Alessandra,

You are looking at the date “changed at” details of the date, not the actual date itself.

You will need to put a date into the field that is not the same as today to make it clearer as to what you are looking at. So chuck say 2010-01-01 into a date field. Then activate the time on the date field and put 10:00, relook at you api and you will see it is in the indeterminate date format of yyyy-mm-dd ##:##, which is not ISO standard. And yes, it’s annoying the “changed_at” field returns the standard and not the important part of the actual data.

Please see the explanation here if you need further details: Date and Time design is incorrect

Thanks,
Mitch

Hello there @Mitch.Poyser,

I have replied in the other thread you mentioned.

Thank you for bringing this into our attention!

Cheers,
Matias