Delay several tasks at the same time

Hello,

I am wondering if there is any way to delay several task at the same time or even the entire project. For example, you have a construction project and your whole project is delayed 2 weeks because you don’t have the permit to start your works.

Is there any easy way to do it? So far, the only option that I’ve seen is changing the tasks manually, which would take ages if you are having hundreds of tasks… I have tried exporting to Excel and importing it, but it is limited too (I will create a different topic for import/export indeed).

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey there! Just wanted to pop in and see if you’re still looking for some guidance setting this up!

I’d recommend using dependencies to delay the dates/projects you’re working on. You can find more info here: https://support.monday.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007402599-How-to-Set-Dependencies-on-monday-com

If you have any further questions, please shoot us an email at support@monday.com and we’d be happy to help! :blush:

Thanks for your answer @CharlotteK! Yes, still looking for some solution.

I see several limitations to your solution of using dependencies to delay all the dates two weeks (for example):

1. Need to link all the items between them. We have most of the tasks without any previous dependency because they don’t have it. A possible solution would be to link all the items to a new “big task” to that it will be delayed afterwards to delay everything.
  2. If you only link all the activities to a new “big task”, it’s not possible to have different start dates.
  3. If that works and you are able to delay everything by two weeks for example, would you be able to remove the dependencies without getting the initial dates back?

Let me know if I am wrong and that’s a possible solution, but I don’t see it working

Hello @SimonAcu,

Another solution you can consider is, if you are able to export the data to excel, you copy and paste that specific column directly into monday.com using the Toolkit app without having to enter them manually again.
If you have any questions about the app, you can always reach out at support@kolaai.com

1 Like

Hi @SimonAcu

Jumping in here for @CharlotteK :smile:

You’re correct that you would need to manually set up the dependency links between the items. You could definitely link multiple items to one big task if that works for your specific workflow and needs.

In regards to your second point, you can set up an automation that will push back the dates by the same amount of time that the big task is pushed back by. If you populate the later tasks with their original start dates, when the automation triggers this will push each task back by a specific number of days, meaning they should still have different start dates if they were originally configured to start at different times!

You can see a screenshot of this automation here:

In regards to your last question - if you were to remove the dependency links after the date has changed, this will not revert the dates back to the original date.
That said, if you then push the big task back a second time, the date of the later task will not update if it no longer has a dependency link.

Hope that helps!

hi @SimonAcu

The easiest solution is to select all items on your board (cntrl-A), click any date (or timeline) value and select “Shift selected items by days”

1 Like

Thanks all for your answers :slight_smile: I guess the easiest solution is the last one proposed by @basdebruin :ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.