Dependencies in groups are duplicated absolut and not relative!

Hi,

I have created a very big group with 43 pulses and 12 dependencies colums and 16 automations of these dependencies. All works fine in this group.
Then I duplicated this group 8 times, because I have 8 episodes of a TV series to plan.
When I change a status in the first/initial group, then also the status of the dependencies in the other groups change. So all dependencies in the other groups refer to the first group.
That’s a very big problem!
I would have to adjust all dependencies in 43 pulses and 7 groups by hand. That would be a real pain.
Isn’t is possible that the dependencies in duplicated groups only work inside their group. So the dependency has to change, if I duplicate the group.

Thanks for the help,

Best Michael

2 Likes

+1 for me. The same for linked column, when duplication board the link column in the duplicated board always link to the original linked board.

This is really important! Same issue for links!!!

We have a series of maintenance steps on every new board set-up and it’s too much for some users. We also cannot really secure them out of using a template, and let them still set up their own personal boards, so we are stuck with some manual pain points like thise.

Hi @straister! Thanks for posting about this - I want to be sure I fully understand your pain points. Do you mind expanding a bit on this? Were you duplicating a group with dependencies and the dependent tasks were still linked to the original group? Or something else? I’d love to pass this onward to our automations team - feel free to add screenshots of easier too :slight_smile: I look forward to hearing from you! Cheers!

Hi @lauraglev -
The situation is that we can’t assign work to our clients (directly) using a people column, unless they are subscribed to the board. We don’t want clients to engage on our boards at this time, so we created a Client Contact Board (per client), which links to our Client Project and Client Support boards, giving us a column we call “Client Assignee”.

Whenever we create a new board from a template - we have the template Project or Support Board linked to the Client Contact board template, and there’s a maintenance step to update that - which our ops team knows to resolve. Because we can’t lock down templates from general use, there’s a strong possibility that users create their own “client” boards - of any type, and do not know to update/maintain the linked columns. This is more of a case for locking down templates than anything else at this moment! Perhaps on the wrong thread, now that I’m further explaining! Sorry! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi @Mischmaster! You make a great point here and it’s something I’ve brought to our developers attention to see if we can improve this with our dependencies. I might suggest creating a board template with the dependencies set up and then using the board template to set up each episode. You can then combine these boards into 1 board by moving the group. This is definitely cumbersome and not an ideal way to work but as a workaround for now, it should help ease this pain point. Would love to hear your thoughts! Cheers!