Dropdown performance/limits in recipes

In a recipe I have a list field type. The options are fetched from a remote and can contain more than 1000 items. Is there a limit to how many items the dropdowns will function properly with?

Hey @fatih,

That’s a great question! I’ll clarify this with the team just to be sure I can provide the most up-to-date info on this. From my perspective, it might not be very user-friendly to provide a list with this many options for the user. What do you think?

As soon as I have an update on this, I’ll get back to you with an update.

-Alex

Hey @AlexSavchuk,

The component for the list type has a search input in recipes. I agree that searching the dropdown manually would be very cumbersome.

Hi @fatih!

Helen stepping in for Alex here.

Our devs let us know that if you have less than 1,000 items, you should be fine. If you have more than 1,000 items though, you should definitely implement pagination.

There’s no imposed limit though!

Hey @Helen,

Thanks for the info! Could you let me know how pagination would be implemented in the dropdown in a recipe? I do not see a configuration option.

Hi @fatih,

Apologies, I’m going to move this to our “Feature Requests” section for now, as I see that pagination currently isn’t fully supported yet.

I will let you know once it is. For now, I think manual fetching would be your best bet.

1 Like

Good to hear from you @Helen.

Moving it to the feature request section is a good idea. The suggested best bet is not possible in a recipe. A developer can configure an endpoint and monday.com will fetch all items returned from that endpoint.

This puts us in a position of returning either too little data for users to select from or too much which will cause the page to be unresponsive or crash.

1 Like