Duplicate a board with V2 API

Is there any demand for full duplication of a board using the V2 API? I would like to create boards (out of templates) from my Wordpress site and then assign users and guests to the newly created boards. Any ideas?

Hey @basdebruin! Being able to create a new board from a template is on our roadmap – can you tell me more about your use case? Are you looking to create a new board when someone submits a request through your Wordpress site?

Hi Dipro,
Good to read it’s on your roadmap. My solution is for bid management, to support one bid I need 4 boards (all have different column layouts). What I want to achieve is to enter the name of a new bid on my Wordpress site and through the V2 API create the 4 boards out of existing templates. I have read through the V2 documentation and it seems to me that you can’t control which statuses will be available in a status column (including order and color), therefore having a template which everything setup is the only sensible way of doing this.

I created another topic here to see if there are other users that need user inheritance from e.g. the folder level). It is kind of annoying I have the invite (guest) users to my bid for each of the 4 boards separately.

Hi @dipro-monday.com, When creating a board from a template through the web interface I get all the goodies from the template, like automatons, permissions, status values (and order / colors) etc. Is this also expected to work through the API?
Also, do you have any idea of a time frame when this will be added to the API interface?
FYI: I have a webform (Elementor Pro Form) that allows me to hook into php code in WordPress and from that php code I am calling the V2 API. So, on my website users can create boards and add users it.

1 Like

Hi @dipro-monday.com

Any chance you can give an estimate timeline for these API V2 enhancements:

• duplicate existing board and/or template
  • add/remove users to a board
  • set the owner(s) of a board

Many thanks

1 Like

Hi @dipro-monday.com @basdebruin

I need the same feature. I posted a ticket a few months ago but still waiting. Addition webhook too and still waiting.

The duplicated board function is ready on the frontend, is noy difficult replicate this function on the api. Come on!!

Thanks

Hey @basdebruin and and @mramos,

I don’t have an update or ETA on these improvements, but thanks for pinging us! I know this is an important feature for you (and a number of other users) and it’s something we’re working on.

Thanks for your patience! :crystal_ball:
Dipro

Hey @basdebruin @mramos,
Just letting you know we recently added the ability to create board from template!
This is how you can use it:

mutation {
  create_board(board_name: "my board", board_kind: public, template_id: 105719725){
    id
  }
}

You can use your own account templates or our predefined templates.
If you want to use your own template the template id is the board id.
We also added an indication in our template store letting you know each template’s id.
It looks like this:
You can get this feature by enabling the “developer mode” in monday.labs

Really cool stuff, works like a charm.

Also had a discussion on this with @dipro-monday.com. Because this function is working from template boards (not just any board to duplicate) it is even more important that templates can hold board permissions, see also Board permissions in template

2 Likes

Hi @dipro-monday.com and API team,

I think there is a small bug with using template boards from the V2 API.

When I create a board from a template with the V2 API updates that exists in the template are not copied over to the newly create board.

When I use the normal web interface and create a new board from the same template the updates are copied over to the newly created board.

So, there is a difference between creating a board from template between the web interface and the V2 API.