Duplicate a board with V2 API

Is there any demand for full duplication of a board using the V2 API? I would like to create boards (out of templates) from my Wordpress site and then assign users and guests to the newly created boards. Any ideas?

1 Like

Hey @basdebruin! Being able to create a new board from a template is on our roadmap – can you tell me more about your use case? Are you looking to create a new board when someone submits a request through your Wordpress site?

1 Like

Hi Dipro,
Good to read it’s on your roadmap. My solution is for bid management, to support one bid I need 4 boards (all have different column layouts). What I want to achieve is to enter the name of a new bid on my Wordpress site and through the V2 API create the 4 boards out of existing templates. I have read through the V2 documentation and it seems to me that you can’t control which statuses will be available in a status column (including order and color), therefore having a template which everything setup is the only sensible way of doing this.

I created another topic here to see if there are other users that need user inheritance from e.g. the folder level). It is kind of annoying I have the invite (guest) users to my bid for each of the 4 boards separately.

Hi @dipro, When creating a board from a template through the web interface I get all the goodies from the template, like automatons, permissions, status values (and order / colors) etc. Is this also expected to work through the API?
Also, do you have any idea of a time frame when this will be added to the API interface?
FYI: I have a webform (Elementor Pro Form) that allows me to hook into php code in WordPress and from that php code I am calling the V2 API. So, on my website users can create boards and add users it.

1 Like

Hi @dipro

Any chance you can give an estimate timeline for these API V2 enhancements:

• duplicate existing board and/or template
  • add/remove users to a board
  • set the owner(s) of a board

Many thanks

2 Likes

Hi @dipro @basdebruin

I need the same feature. I posted a ticket a few months ago but still waiting. Addition webhook too and still waiting.

The duplicated board function is ready on the frontend, is noy difficult replicate this function on the api. Come on!!

Thanks

Hey @basdebruin and and @mramos,

I don’t have an update or ETA on these improvements, but thanks for pinging us! I know this is an important feature for you (and a number of other users) and it’s something we’re working on.

Thanks for your patience! :crystal_ball:
Dipro

Hey @basdebruin @mramos,
Just letting you know we recently added the ability to create board from template!
This is how you can use it:

mutation {
  create_board(board_name: "my board", board_kind: public, template_id: 105719725){
    id
  }
}

You can use your own account templates or our predefined templates.
If you want to use your own template the template id is the board id.
We also added an indication in our template store letting you know each template’s id.
It looks like this:
You can get this feature by enabling the “developer mode” in monday.labs

1 Like

Really cool stuff, works like a charm.

Also had a discussion on this with @dipro. Because this function is working from template boards (not just any board to duplicate) it is even more important that templates can hold board permissions, see also Board permissions in template - #3

2 Likes

Hi @dipro and API team,

I think there is a small bug with using template boards from the V2 API.

When I create a board from a template with the V2 API updates that exists in the template are not copied over to the newly create board.

When I use the normal web interface and create a new board from the same template the updates are copied over to the newly created board.

So, there is a difference between creating a board from template between the web interface and the V2 API.

Hi @Ayelet

It looks like something has changed with regards to templates. I do not see the template id’s (predefined templates) anymore. Am I missing something or is this important feature lost in an update?

1 Like

Have the same issue now. How to see template_ids?

Hey @basdebruin @tpaktop - checking in with the team on this one. I’ll followup here.

-Daniel

Hey @basdebruin @tpaktop,
It was indeed lost in the new template store - sorry about that! will be fixed very soon!

1 Like

Hey @basdebruin @tpaktop,

This should be resolved now! Please let me know if you’re still seeing this.

-Daniel

hi @dsilva

Where can I find the template id in the new template store?

Also: are there any plans to find templates (account templates) through the API? I know you can supply a template id in the API call to create a boards, but I don’t know how to get the template id (board id). Am I missing something here?

Hey @basdebruin,

The template ID will appear on pre-made templates or account templates. They can be found when adding the template from the template center:

As for finding the template ID for account templates - there isn’t a straight forward way of doing that right now, however I might have a workaround for you. When you save one of your boards as an account template, the account ID becomes the template ID. If you were to have your boards named in a certain way that you would know they’re templates, you could query for the board ID and use that.

-Daniel

Hi @dsilva

I must be missing something. When I go to the template center I don’t see the template id’s, see:

Also not understanding what you mean that the account id becomes the template id. I have several account templates and I am using the baoradid of these templates as template id’s. Are you saying that boards saved as templates get another template id?

Hey @basdebruin,

Could you try clicking on one of the templates in the template center? It should appear for the board templates we provide by default.

Also not understanding what you mean that the account id becomes the template id. I have several account templates and I am using the baoradid of these templates as template id’s. Are you saying that boards saved as templates get another template id?

Let’s say that you create a brand new board on your account and the board ID is 12345. If you were to turn this board into a template on your account, the template ID for this board would be 12345.

Although we don’t have the ability to query the API for template IDs, you are able to create boards if you already know the template ID:

mutation {
  create_board(board_name: "my board", board_kind: public, template_id:12345) {id}}

My suggestion for a workaround was to use some kind of naming scheme for the boards you are converting into a template, that way you would be able to find it using the existing boards query and get the board ID from there:

Admittedly, this is a bit of a hacky workaround - it would also rely on you having kept the board which the template was created from. But this would be one possible workaround to accomplish this in the meanwhile.

As mentioned even though we don’t have a native way of querying template IDs right now, I did pass it along internally to our dev team to see if this something we can support down the line to make this process more streamline.

Hope this helps!

-Daniel

Hi @dsilva

When I click one of the templates, it still does not show the template id. See:

For me, not having the ability to query template boards is far more important. I do understand the proposed workaround but that is not a real solution for me.

Hope your dev team adds the ability to query account template boards very soon.