Easiest way to extend/subclass Timeline type of column in a monday app?

Many thanks, @Matias.Monday :

Many thanks for this - very good to have it explicitly stated!

That - create a whole custom board view - is what I’d try to avoid; because then I suddenly end up with extra maintenance burden, which I imagine will not be trivial.

And that is why I’m a bit fixated on “extending” Timeline - if its start and end dates could be dynamic (e.g. set via formula TODAY(), or the equivalent by using some API to modify), then I’d just be able to reuse the monday.com GUI engine, without extra significant maintenance burden on me.

Thanks - much appreciated! I started toying with the “trigger action every day” (to basically update the end dates of related timelines), but when I tried to enter automation “Every day (every 1 day, at 0:00)” the only “verbs” I have available are “notify”, “create group”, “duplicate group”, “create item” - nothing related to “modify”

However, I was unaware that automation can be used in context of integration, and in context of custom actions - so maybe in that way, I’d be able to achieve what I want. But I’ll need to study your directions in more detail …

Well, this is the thing - I imagine a “running task” as one without an end date; that is, the end date is automatically “today”. Basically, this would be a lower-priority task in the backlog, to which a deadline cannot be reasonably assigned - but there would be still emphasis on it, because if you look at the Gantt around the time of “today”, you’d still be able to see it there. And then, once it is done, you might as well “convert” it to a regular task (i.e. add a regular Timeline column, with the original start, and end, dates) and delete the previous “extended Timeline” (“running task”) column. I’ve described a bit of this in Possible to set up a running task (task with start, but no end date)?

So, in that context, it would not make sense to “listen” for the moment when the task is “done”, because the moment of task being done, is merely setting up a normal Timeline column with the end date, and stopping the use of the “running task” description.

In any case, I hope I eventually find something that comes close to this kind of use context …