Subfolders (sub directories)

Hi @JessCohen, Jessica,

As I remember correctly this was originally planned for Enterprise license only, can you let us know for which license type this amazing feature will be available? Also, can you let us know a little more detail, like:

• can we use a worksplace as a template
  • will there be support for workplaces in the API
  • can we invite users to all boards in a workplace in one go (security at workplace level)

Glad to be part of the beta testers team when time arrives.

1 Like

That was my recollection too. However the Monday 2.0 roadmap webinar now suggests this will be available on all plans, with advanced permissions (whatever they are) available to Enterprise only.

See (around 20.52)

Exactly, Workspaces as an organizational tool will be available for everyone!
This will allow non-Enteprise accounts to benefit from the hierarchy and organization that Workspaces will provide.
However, more advanced permissions (such as who can create Workspaces, open and closed Workspaces) will be an Enterprise feature.
Right now API and templates won’t be available but this is something we plan to develop down the line.
Regarding giving users access to all boards within a Workspace, that’s exactly what the Enterprise feature will look like. As soon as someone joins a certain Workspace, he/she will have access to all main boards within and Private/Shareable boards they’re invited to.

We’ll keep you updated on this! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @JessCohen when will this feature be available for Pro Users?
This is definitely a huge need for my organization.

1 Like

I would also very much benefit to the addition of sub-folders. I am excited about the proposed Workspaces option, but if I have to wait for much longer, it will be very difficult to continue using Monday.com as a resource (my company only recently started using this, but already, we are in dire need of better folder organization tools for some upcoming projects).

1 Like

Hey all! Finally, beta is out for Workspaces!
Read more about it in our latest Announcement:
https://community.monday.com/t/workspaces-open-for-beta/5247

Feel free to comment on that thread with any questions or feedback at all, we’d love to hear your thoughts!

1 Like

Subfolders with multiple levels are still definitely needed. Workspaces are good, but larger teams with multiple activities, projects, topic areas etc. need a way to logically organize many different boards within a given Workspace.

2 Likes

Please add subfolders!

We only just started using Monday, and I absolutely hate the clutter on the left side.
We need subfolders. Not Workspaces, but subfolders.

If anyone wants to create a board that lives in a folder, in a folder, in a folder, in a folder, they should be able to do it. Thank you.

5 Likes

I have proposed an alternative to Subfolders (or as well as).
https://community.monday.com/t/left-hand-panel-board-management/6712?u=ianfury
Would appreciate feedback on this suggestion

It could be very cool for sharable boards.
For example:
Shared Folder: Clients, Sub-folders: Client name, Boards: Social media posts, invoices, etc.

It could be a very flexible way to organize things.

1 Like

With the release of Workspaces you already do have received a second level of foldering. The only difference is that they added it to the top instead of the bottom of the hierarchy, but in effect you already got Subfolders.

Any news on subfolders? My team is new to Monday and LOVING it - but I can already see how the left column is going to get very busy. (Focusing on hierarchy, we are realizing that we need to have separate boards for instance when there is a project + form. In order to group these, they need a folder. But likely we will have similar projects. Hence: a folder for each. Will multiply quickly!)

Thank you. :smile:

1 Like

Are you already using Workspaces in conjunction with folders to enable a 2nd layer of organisation?

1 Like

Hi John! Thank you for prompt on workspaces. We are using them, but I had boxed myself in a bit, I think, stuck in thinking that our main workspace had to ‘hold it all’ and the other workspaces were for personal boards / removed areas of work. Your question made me think hard about why I was limiting my team in this way… Rolled up my sleeves this morning, and we’re giving it a go, by bumping up everything one level in hierarchy. THANK YOU. :slight_smile: :boom:

2 Likes

We’re probably doing the opposite :grinning:

We’re a small construction company so one workspace for live jobs, one for tenders etc. The default workspace holds all our personal boards and ad hoc boards (software login details, insurance info etc).

This helps reduce another of my pet peeves with Monday: clutter in the LHS bar where the Workspaces live. I cannot wait until we have drag-and-drop to make it more logical and orderly.

I JUST wrote Monday about that… .hoping to be able to reorder the workspaces! My personal board is all mixed in, and it kinda makes me nutty. I saw there was an update coming for workspaces, so :crossed_fingers: we’ll get some action there in near term.

Thanks again for helping me with a lightbulb moment. I overhauled today and am MUCH happier. :smiley: Have a good evening, or day, or whatever makes sense where you are!

cheers,
Kelli

1 Like

This is a huge shortcoming…

1 Like

My best advice is to have good descriptive WS, folder and board names. Collapse both the WS and board list for added vertical space and just use the bolts switch for navigation.

2 Likes

Hey, I feel like this is a crucial feature. Really hard to organize things without sub-folders

Well we currently have:

1. Workspaces
  2. Folders
  3. Boards
  4. Groups
  5. Items
  6. Sub-Items

Can you make your concept of sub-folders fit into that structure?