Subfolders (sub directories)

Hey @JessCohen when will this feature be available for Pro Users?
This is definitely a huge need for my organization.

1 Like

I would also very much benefit to the addition of sub-folders. I am excited about the proposed Workspaces option, but if I have to wait for much longer, it will be very difficult to continue using Monday.com as a resource (my company only recently started using this, but already, we are in dire need of better folder organization tools for some upcoming projects).

1 Like

Hey all! Finally, beta is out for Workspaces!
Read more about it in our latest Announcement:
https://community.monday.com/t/workspaces-open-for-beta/5247

Feel free to comment on that thread with any questions or feedback at all, we’d love to hear your thoughts!

1 Like

Subfolders with multiple levels are still definitely needed. Workspaces are good, but larger teams with multiple activities, projects, topic areas etc. need a way to logically organize many different boards within a given Workspace.

2 Likes

Please add subfolders!

We only just started using Monday, and I absolutely hate the clutter on the left side.
We need subfolders. Not Workspaces, but subfolders.

If anyone wants to create a board that lives in a folder, in a folder, in a folder, in a folder, they should be able to do it. Thank you.

5 Likes

I have proposed an alternative to Subfolders (or as well as).
https://community.monday.com/t/left-hand-panel-board-management/6712?u=ianfury
Would appreciate feedback on this suggestion

It could be very cool for sharable boards.
For example:
Shared Folder: Clients, Sub-folders: Client name, Boards: Social media posts, invoices, etc.

It could be a very flexible way to organize things.

1 Like

With the release of Workspaces you already do have received a second level of foldering. The only difference is that they added it to the top instead of the bottom of the hierarchy, but in effect you already got Subfolders.

Any news on subfolders? My team is new to Monday and LOVING it - but I can already see how the left column is going to get very busy. (Focusing on hierarchy, we are realizing that we need to have separate boards for instance when there is a project + form. In order to group these, they need a folder. But likely we will have similar projects. Hence: a folder for each. Will multiply quickly!)

Thank you. :smile:

1 Like

Are you already using Workspaces in conjunction with folders to enable a 2nd layer of organisation?

1 Like

Hi John! Thank you for prompt on workspaces. We are using them, but I had boxed myself in a bit, I think, stuck in thinking that our main workspace had to ‘hold it all’ and the other workspaces were for personal boards / removed areas of work. Your question made me think hard about why I was limiting my team in this way… Rolled up my sleeves this morning, and we’re giving it a go, by bumping up everything one level in hierarchy. THANK YOU. :slight_smile: :boom:

2 Likes

We’re probably doing the opposite :grinning:

We’re a small construction company so one workspace for live jobs, one for tenders etc. The default workspace holds all our personal boards and ad hoc boards (software login details, insurance info etc).

This helps reduce another of my pet peeves with Monday: clutter in the LHS bar where the Workspaces live. I cannot wait until we have drag-and-drop to make it more logical and orderly.

I JUST wrote Monday about that… .hoping to be able to reorder the workspaces! My personal board is all mixed in, and it kinda makes me nutty. I saw there was an update coming for workspaces, so :crossed_fingers: we’ll get some action there in near term.

Thanks again for helping me with a lightbulb moment. I overhauled today and am MUCH happier. :smiley: Have a good evening, or day, or whatever makes sense where you are!

cheers,
Kelli

1 Like

This is a huge shortcoming…

1 Like

My best advice is to have good descriptive WS, folder and board names. Collapse both the WS and board list for added vertical space and just use the bolts switch for navigation.

2 Likes

Hey, I feel like this is a crucial feature. Really hard to organize things without sub-folders

Well we currently have:

1. Workspaces
  2. Folders
  3. Boards
  4. Groups
  5. Items
  6. Sub-Items

Can you make your concept of sub-folders fit into that structure?

Hi JohnW, of course I can.

1. Workspace
  2. Folder
    3. Sub-Folder (s) (unlimited levels of nesting - like all file management software)
  3. Board
  4. Group
  5. Items
  6. Sub-Items

The reason sub-folders are crucial is because it declutters the space. Let me give you an example: we have a HR workspace that we use for onboarding (among other things). As suggested by Eddie in his webinar on how to onboard team members, we use multiple boards (company-level, department-level and tool-level) for onboarding each team members. You can find the video here: Onboarding New Team Members. Obviously, we group these boards in folders for each employee so it looks like this:

1. Workspace (HR)
  2. Folder (Welcome, Employee 1!)
  3. Board 1 (Company Onboarding for Employee 1), Board 2 (Department Onboarding for Employee 2), etc.
  4. Groups (Important stuff, General To-Do’s, Software/Tech, etc.)
  5. Items (Tasks)
  6. Sub-items (More, related tasks to the above task)

Fine, right? Well, no. Because then the Workspace becomes cluttered and looks like this:

• Employee Directory
  • Welcome, Employee 1
  • Welcome, Employee 2
  • Welcome, Employee 3
  • Welcome, Employee 4
  • Welcome, Employee 5
  • Welcome, Employee 6
  • Welcome, Employee 7

You can see how this can get cluttered REALLY fast, and this is only with 7 employees. Imagine companies with 50, 200 employees or more! Same with clients!

With subfolders the Workplace could look SO much cleaner, like this:

*Admin (folder with subfolders)
*Onboarding (Folder that includes all the welcome folders)
*HR Services (folder with subfolders)
*Archive (folder with 2020, 2021,… subfolders)
Etc.

That’s 4 folders, versus the infinite amount of folders in the earlier example. The applications are limitless. To give you a real world example,

1. Monday.com is the office building
  2. Workplaces are like rooms
  3. Folders are like boxes / binders
  4. Boards are like papers / documents
  5. Groups are like headings
  6. Items are like paragraphs / content
  7. Sub-items are really just like the items, but different in style / layout.

And right now Monday.com looks like we’ve put a bunch of documents and papers in boxes / binders. Which is better than having a pile on the desk, sure, but…

We want filing cabinets with drawers, and dividers & even more because this is the internet and you can only realistically see so many files at once. Everything else works with subfolders. I can guarantee that if you look at the code of monday.com it’s has many, many subfolders. It wouldn’t make sense to group everything in only 2 levels of folders, would it? So why not allow to nest folders within folders (and so on)? I’m not sure what you gain by rejecting the idea of sub-folders, but I can definitely tell you what you gain by adopting it: many many happy clients, less headaches and much much tidier workplaces.

Thank you.

P.S.: I don’t know about others but I was really close to switching to Wrike over this. That’s how bad this issue is to me. The idea of a project management software is to simplify the process. To me, a lack of sub-folders makes it really hard to organize properly. I ended up picking Monday.com anyway because of all the other features and it’s visually more pleasing, but this remains a genuine concern for me…

5 Likes

Is this something the devs are planning to do? The more we use Monday.com, the more this feature is getting valuable.
It was fun starting out, but as data accumulates, projects and products being created, etc. It’s getting more and more cluttered.

1 Like

Hi everyone! Our team understands the need for subfolders and is currently working on this feature, though we don’t have a specific release date just yet. Please stay tuned for more updates about this, and thanks for providing your use cases and waiting so patiently in the meantime! :pray:

7 Likes