FORMAT_DATE and TEXT function codes

Where can I find information on date and text formatting codes/tokens for Monday.com, as used in the formula functions FORMAT_DATE and TEXT, specifically?

I was able to find some date formatting tokens here: Tokens for date/time formatting Help Docs | Integromat Help Center, but these listed tokens do not 100% match Monday.com’s token functionality. I have not found anything regarding text formatting tokens.

Hey @arnold_wikey,

Are you trying to find information for formatting in the API, or for use in the formula column?

If you’re looking for more information on the formula, you can use our list of available formulas for reference.

If you’re trying to do this in the API - could you give us a bit more information on what you’re looking for?

Best,
Daniel

Hi @dsilva,

I am looking to find information on formatting through the formula column. I have visited the page with the available formulas, but there is not enough information there for me.

For example, for the TEXT function there is a formatting string “$#,##0.00”. I can understand what the format string is doing, but:

• Are there other tokens I can use?
  • Is “$#,###.##” also a valid format string? How can I determine this without having to try all possible combinations by hand?

Also for example, the FORMAT_DATE function has a formatting string “dddd, MMMM Do YYYY” shown. Same as the TEXT function above: are there other tokens I can use? What sorts of combinations are valid and available to me?

1 Like

Having more experience with Excel, I use that as a basis and just give it a try. It would be great if it was more thoroughly documented.

Hi @dsilva,

Is this something that resides deep within Monday.com source code? I am still not able to find a complete reference to these formatting tokens as they pertain specifically to Monday.com.

Here’s what I found through testing for FORMAT_DATE. Maybe someone can do the TEXT function and monday can add it to some documentation.

Code Result
M Months as 1–12
MM Months as 01–12
MMM Months as Jan–Dec
MMMM Months as January–December
d Day of the week as 0-6 (Sun = 0)
dd Day of the week as Su-Sa
ddd Day of the week as Sun-Sat
dddd Day of the week as Sunday-Saturday
D Days of the month as 1–31
DD Days of the month as 01–31
DDD Day of the Year
Y Year as 1900–9999
YY Years as 00–99
YYYY Years as 1900–9999
4 Likes

Hey @arnold_wikey and @JCorrell

I wanted to chime in as a formula-lover myself! I do agree this could be documented better and i appreciate your effort into sharing the knowledge you’ve gathered via testing :slight_smile:

@JCorrell to add on to your list, here are the things I’ve found myself for FORMAT_DATE:

Q - Will show the Quarter of the date (Jan, Feb and March would show 1, for example);
Do - Day ordered (16th over just 16) - generally, adding “o” would make the value ordered.
W - shows the Week number of the date value;
L - This would format the date as Month/Day/Year

For TEXT, generally most things fly in my experience, and I haven’t found anything particularly useful… except “:” as a token. This takes a numeric value within your board and formats it as a time value, where 3600 would equal 1 hour (as in 3600 seconds):

I hope this helps a bit :slight_smile: I’ll share your feedback with the team, as I do think this could be a much smoother process than trial and error.

-Alex

Good to know. Here is the updated FORMAT_DATE codes:

Code Result
d Day of the week as 0-6 (Sun = 0)
do Day of the week as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.
dd Day of the week as Su-Sa
ddd Day of the week as Sun-Sat
dddd Day of the week as Sunday-Saturday
D Days of the month as 1–31
Do Day of the month as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.
DD Days of the month as 01–31
DDD Day of the Year
DDDo Day of the Year as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.
E Day of the week as 1-7 (Sun = 7)
L Date in MM/DD/YYYY
M Months as 1–12
Mo Month as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.
MM Months as 01–12
MMM Months as Jan–Dec
MMMM Months as January–December
Q Quarter
Qo Quarter as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
W Week of the year as 1-53
Wo Week of the year as 1st, 2nd, etc.
WW Week of the year as 01-53
Y Year as 1900–9999
YY Years as 00–99
YYYY Years as 1900–9999

*** Updated to add: E = Day of the week as 1-7 (Sun = 7)

5 Likes

@JCorrell

Thanks for taking the time to do that for us! I’ll try and free up a bit of time to make this an easily shareable resource on our end, just needs a bit of setup time to get right :slight_smile:

Appreciate your effort here, as always. Sharing is caring! :star:

-Alex

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing that.