Getting to the parent item from a sub item

Hi All,

Is there a way to get to the parent item from a sub item?
We need this to display sub items properly, the sub items are in a different board. so we can get that board, but not the item that this boards serves. any ideas?

Thanks
Yossi

Hi @YossiT!

At this time, you’re able to query the “groups” field of a Subitem, if you know the Subitem board Id.

However, this behavior can be rather unpredictable-- sometimes it will return the parent item Id, and other times just the word “topics”

Rest assured that this is a limitation our devs are aware of and currently working to resolve!

For now, I would recommend using the column_values call on the parent items to see their connected Subitems, and then using a separate call to see the information in the Subitems.

Hope this helps!

-Helen

HI @Helen

Thank you so much Helen for picking this up.
We wrote an integration to Microsoft outlook.
there the customer can search for a specific item
since we list the borads, the groups and finally the items for him/her to pick from
we get ‘subitems for X’ boards where we list the sub items. but they all have generic names like ‘subitem’ - we thought it will be good to get the parent item from the subitem and list it as ‘subitem 1 (item a)’

can you please see if it will be possible to add an API call to get the parent item from a subitem?

Thanks a lot.
Yossi

Hi @YossiT,

Thank you for letting me know more about your workflow-- that makes sense.

At this time, I’m afraid that querying the parent item Id from the Subitems is a little more difficult and inconsistent (see my first response). For this option, you can just query the Subitem board, then items, then use the group_by field to see the groups each Subitem resides in.

You can definitely try it out and see if you’re able to get any discernible connections though!

-Helen