Getting user unauthorised response to OAuth authorization request

Hi,

One of the users of our Analytics and Reports monday app is reporting that they get an error response to the OAuth authorization request, like

{
“error_code”: “UserUnauthroizedException”,
“status_code”: 403,
“error_message”: “User unauthorized to perform action”,
“error_data”: {}
}

So instead of being redirected to an appropriate error page (“You need to install the app first” etc.) the error response comes through to the requesting app (ours).

I can’t reproduce the error.

In which situations could this error happen? Is there a problem with the users privileges or maybe something wrong with our app or the monday API?

Thanks for your help!

Hey @TuomasTammi :wave:

Thanks for reaching out! I’d love to help clarify this.

In most cases, this happens when the user trying to use your app is a Viewer. At this time, Viewers do not have access to an API token, and as such, they would not be able to go through the OAuth process or use any apps.

Could you clarify with the user if they are a Viewer?

-Alex

The user claims to be an admin or owner, but I can’t verify that. However, I did try to authorise as a viewer and I didn’t get the same API error message. Instead I saw the appropriate error page in the monday UI.

@TuomasTammi

Thank you for circling back with me!

Got it, thanks for trying that out. Is there a chance we could troubleshoot this further via email? I’d love to look into the specifics here and escalate this further if we aren’t able to resolve this OAuth error together.

I’ve just sent you a DM of the details we’d need to investigate further. I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon! :slight_smile:

-Alex