Are tags used in the tag column global or board specific?

Right now tags are specific to boards and not a global item. In other words if I have 3 boards all with the same tag than the system creates 3 different tags. While the Search Everything will still work and show you everything from all 3 boards that have that tag the dashboard widgets cannot handle grouping the data from those 3 different tags together properly. You also end up with a very cluttered tag setup where you may have the exact same tag multiple times. Considering the purpose of the tags I would think globalizing them would make the most sense so you can then use the same tag across multiple boards and your dashboard would know how to handle it.

Attached are a couple of screenshots showing you the problems this creates. The first is just a cluttered tag list with multiple of the same tag. The second is a pie chart on the dashboard with the same tag showing as separate pieces of the pie when we really need the same tag to show as one piece.

cc: @Hans

16 Likes

+1 on this.
there has to be global tags

7 Likes

+1 on this.

I agree global tags are a necessity.

2 Likes

+1 to the idea of Global tags.

As an addition, if the tag colors could be the same across different boards, that would be great :wink:

Right now, the same tag on two different boards has two different colors. Search everything will still group them correctly, but I think having the colors be consistent will be a nice quality of life fix

7 Likes

+1 for global tags - they are essential

2 Likes

I agree with global tags, and personal or local tags for a Board or User. I would also need then, in admin, a tag manager.

3 Likes

This would make my life so much easier.

2 Likes

Yes, this would be great! Really need global tags!

+1 for global tags - agree with all other comments

Has this been done yet?

What is the status with this?

Are tags still board specific? Or are they account-wide?

Is there a way of deleting tags eg. that are unused?

I’m relatively new to Monday, but from my experience so far, tags are only shown if they are used in an item somewhere. I started creating new tabs for a shareable board in an item, and then deleted them from that item thinking they would be saved in a list somewhere. When I wanted to recall them for another item, it couldn’t find any… Searching also showed none, except the tags still present in another main board.

If you can’t wait until Monday implements global tags and need a solution right away, the Screenful dashboards add-on for Monday can provide charts with global tags. You can create a custom charts across multiple boards and place them as dashboard widgets. As long as the tags in different boards have the same name they will treated the same.

Here’s example chart:

2 Likes

YES - global tags would solve a HUGE problem I’m having as I try to make the case to my company that we should switch over from Salesforce. Is this in the works?

Hi Everyone! Adrianne here from monday.com. I know that some of the commentary on this chain dates back a few years but wanted to make sure that I dropped in to give an update on how global tags work today. As you know, monday.com is ever changing and improving!

The way that the tag column works in monday.com today, is that once a tag is added to a board, that tag will then appear as an option to be used on any other board within the account so that you can successfully review all instances of that tag being used. The is that tags created in Main Boards will be shared across all other Main boards in your account. Shareable or Private Boards, on the other hand, keep their set of tags separate and unique to each board. However, searching a tag that appears on all board types will yield all results of that tag in Search Everything. Meaning if the tag “#project” is used on both private and main boards, there will be two separate tags, however the universal search yield all #project tags from main boards and any private board that the person running the search has access to. Here is a helpful article from our knowledge base about all things Tag column related: The Tag Column

Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.