How to link individual project boards to high level board and vice-versa

Hi @PedroM.
Is there a way to automatically add a newly added item in the low-level board to the high-level linked items list?

3 Likes

Agreed, this feature is missing for us to really be able to make this work.
We need not only to manually select individual tasks, but also entire groups or entire boards, so that pulses added in a group/board are taken into account in the summary on high-level board.

1 Like

Hi @QDagault

It looks like you are looking for a solution that I call Master-Detail.

Master boards watches supported columns (Number, Status, Timeline and Time Tracker) on any number of Detail boards and show totals (average, min & max also supported) in a single row per Detail board.

A picture says more than 1.000 words :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is this available in marketplace ?

Hi @tpaktop

There is no marketplace yet :slight_smile: . It is available on my website Downloads Archive - Excellent Team but it can also be installed through this link for a 10-day trial monday.com: Where Teams Get Work Done

This is a really interesting topic, and part of what I’ve been looking for: an explanation of how to make a multi-board solution actually work. This is where I’m really struggling with Monday, because it’s great for a single board of tasks, or doing a repeatable flow for a number of items (rows), but it needs the project management stuff like Mcrosft Prjct, and this may enable some of that. Plus, I think they just release real milestone functionality, which is great.

Thank you, All, very interesting and potentially helpful discussion.

1 Like

Hey all! @handsup, @freek-gcompany, @slash

Thanks for this great discussion! Talia here from monday.com. In addition to the suggestions above I have a few resources that might be helpful.

We have a milestone feature that we just released! If you are on the Pro plan, you can add milestones by clicking into a timeline cell, and from there selecting “Set as milestone”.

You can read more about it in this article, about a third of the way down: What is the Timeline?

@nshamgar at the moment what you can do is use the following automation to automatically add and link items in the low level board to the high level boards:

However, you may be looking to add the link column, rather than the link to item column, in which case there’s no way to add the URL of the low-level boards ot the link column in the high level board automatically.

1 Like

Hi @TRB-monday.com,

Thanks for pitching in. I’m really waiting for a way to have the timeline view filter on something like “milestones only”, which would make a high level timeline overview really easy to create.
Any suggestions in that area? Is such a view on the roadmap somewhere?

Regards,

Freek

1 Like

Hey @freek-gcompany,

Thanks for getting back and elaborating on what you’re looking for!

What would you think about making a group at the top of each board for milestones? Then you could easily add those to a timeline widget in a dashboard to get a high level timeline overview. Would that be helpful?

What kinds of milestones are you looking to track concretely? I’d love to put this in as a feature request to my team as we don’t have something like this on the roadmap at the moment.

All the best,
Talia

Hi @TRB-monday.com this is indeed a possibility and one that’s being used quite a lot, especially when milestones as such were not available yet. The point is that’s a manual effort to re-create items that are already in the board as milestones in the separate group. You can of course create a dependency and then link the dates together, but it’s still a bit cumbersome.

The reason I’m asking for the request is because we are using milestones in boards where the items represent steps in the project and groups of items represent phases. Each phase has a “kick off” and “a go live” of some sort and those dates are critical to understand the high level timeline of the project.
It’s traditional project management, really.

Regards,

Freek

2 Likes

Hi Pedro, would you be able to expand more on each of these steps? Especially step number 2. I think when I am linking boards I am missing something. Thank you!

Is it able to take numbers for “Total” columns in this picture from different boards? Let say that each project are in different boards.

Hi Kenneth

In the mean time the app has evolved into a new app, called Rollup Multiple Boards. You can see the app as follows.

Each item in a high-level board represent a down-level board. So 12 down-level boards result in 12 items in the high-level board. Down-level boards are created by changing a status value in the high-level board and specifying a mondat.com template.

After the relationships are setup there are recipes to aggregate columns in the down-level boards, see this as you have all the “Column Summaries” from all down-level board in one overview.

Does that make sense?

Hi @ebatte the company I work for, Unito, has a possible solution to this. You are able to sync boards and create a masterboard - here is a link that you might find helpful, regarding the integration! You can have the high level information from each project link to a masterboard so you get the essential information as you need it. Let me know if you have any questions and I would be happy to help!

Hi @PedroM, several months have passed since your comment here on this topic. I wonder if there is meanwhile a possibility that the status in the overview widget not only links to a board but to the certain place (timeline) in this board, which causes the delay. I would like to see at a glance which item in a group causes the delay (f.e. when there is a status “Critical” in the overview widget).
Is there a solution for this issue?
Thanks for your help.

You can now connect items from high level to low level boards and mirror the columns from both boards! Multi-board mirroring to one board is also coming soon.

Find out more information on mirroring and connecting boards here:

Throwing my vote in for this feature. Each project/team board needs to be unique so that those owners can manage their items the way they see fit, but they all roll up to a high-level board that needs to show progress across all boards for all items related to it. Biggest sticking point right now for our org.

2 Likes

Hi, @caseypsh - There are many ways to do this… the new multi-board linking with multi-board mirroring, as well as several great apps that are new this year. I’d be happy to chat with you about them and help you figure out which method would work best for your situation. We offer a limited number of no-charge strategy sessions in the community each week. You can book one here: Book a call with Polished Geek: Do more with monday․com

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.