How do you add an existing file asset to an item files column with the API?

Is it possible to add an existing file asset to an item files column with the API?

If so, how?

Hello @JCorrell,

Currently, the only way that I know of is to download the file and then upload it again. This of course is inefficient, more so when using the API. I’ve already created a feature request here to change that. You might like to upvote it to move it up the ladder.

@kolaai

Yeah, I was hoping for a better answer. Have you been able to get a confirmation from @dipro, @AlexSavchuk or other that this is the only current answer?

hi @JCorrell

I am currently discussing this with Dipro. The official statement is like @kolaai said: you have to download & upload. Not very efficient and (more important to me) I don’t want to download user’s files to my system :frowning:. Development is currently looking into a case where I proofed you can just copy the JSON and (re-)use the same asset. Only one little problem: sometimes it works and other times is doesn’t. Development is looking what is going on.

@basdebruin

Good to know. Thank you for the update!

I’ve been trying to solve this puzzle all this weekend. Thanks to @basdebruin, at least I have something to work with.

I hope Monday spends little more time on documentation. I spend more time on google than coding :slight_smile: