How to create user with access to all boards to use with API

Hi I would like to use the API to access all of our boards etc. but am running into 401 permissions errors. How can I create a user or generate an API key/token that has access to all the data available from the API? Or if that’s not possible what’s the best way of going about that? Thanks

Hi @disi,

Welcome to the community! we hope you like it here :rocket:

Are you an Admin or Member in your monday account?

You must be either an Admin or Member to access an API key.

If you are a Guest, you can use the API features via other authentication methods such as OAuth or a shortLivedToken.

Viewer users, users who have been deactivated and/or disabled, users with unconfirmed emails, and users on student accounts do not have access to our API.

How to Access API Tokens:

Admin Tab

If you are an admin user on your monday.com account, you are able to access your API tokens from the “Admin” tab with the following steps:

1. Log into your monday.com account.
  2. Click on your avatar (picture icon) in the bottom left corner of your screen.
  3. Select Admin from the resulting menu (this requires you to have admin permissions).
  4. Go to the API section.
  5. Generate a “API v2 Token”
  6. Copy your token.

Developer Tab

If you are a member user on your monday.com account, you are able to access your API tokens from the Developer tab with the following steps:

1. Log into your monday.com account.
  2. Click on your avatar (picture icon) in the bottom left corner of your screen.
  3. Select Developer from the resulting menu.
  4. In the top menu, click on the “Developer” dropdown menu.
  5. Select the first option on the dropdown menu titled “My Access Tokens.”
  6. Click on the blue “Show” button to expose your API token and copy it.

Hey @alessandra! I know it’s been a while since you posted this comment but if you can help me with this it will be a great help.

How can I achieve this? I tried to find the documentation but it shows only the part where a user is admin or member. One of our client has given me access to their board as a Guest, now I want to use the API to generate report for our team. I don’t want to write any data, I just want read access via API. Is it possible to do so or I need member access for that?

Hello @nirmal,

As a guest, you can not access the API directly. So you can not query for information via API.

For this, you would need to be a member.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Matias