How to mirror items from sub boards into a master board *and* allow the master board to write new items to it not found in any sub board?

Hi. I’m looking for a way to mirror information from sub boards into a master board with all the data from all the sub boards. The information from items in these sub boards will be constantly updated even after an individual item has been created, and will thus need to be automatically updated in the master board as well. Normally this would be easy as all I have to do is connect the boards to the master board, then mirror all the information. However, the master board itself will also need to be able to allow new items and information placed in those items independent of any sub boards (in other words, these new items will not be on any sub board and only on the master board). But a linking column does not allow me to add text to it unless it has already been linked to another board, therefore not allowing me to place new items in the master board. Is there any way to do this? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @CakesXShakes - I am not sure if anyone answered this for you yet. What you could try is reverse your thinking. Rather then the master board containing the mirrored columns have the sub boards pulling from the master board. This keeps the master board in line with all sub boards and still allows you to create independent records within the master.

Additionally, with this approach reporting becomes much easier as all of your data is within standard fields on your master board (you can report on everything from there). With dashboards, etc there are some limitations with mirrored columns.

Hopefully this makes sense and if you need more assistance check us out online as well.

Thanks,
Mark

1 Like

Hey @CakesXShakes, a way you could do this would be to use Unito, the company I work for. Essentially you would create a one way integration, so you can update the sub boards and have it feed into the master board, while still being able to make edits on the master board without making changes on the sub board. Here is a link that gives some more information on the monday.com integration, and please feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll give it a try.

I think this App will help you VLOOKUP Auto-link

Sounds great @CakesXShakes - if you need any pointers let me know. I can even give you a quick demo of some solutions for others I have built if it helps. It’s all native Monday as well so no need for add-ons/integrations.

Thanks
Mark