Note: For the sake of the question, I’ve simplified my boards a ton.
I have 3 boards:
- Companies (all the company contact info, can be linked to multiple contacts)
- Contacts (all the individual contact info, can be linked to multiple companies)
- Inventory (packages available for sale, how many of each, price of each)
Now I have a 4th board: Transactions.
The purpose of this board is to:
- log which company bought what package
- update the inventory available quantity (this is done via formula, no issue here)
This board has (1) transaction per pulse
This board has the following columns:
- Company that purchased the package (linked to the Companies board)
- Contact that is main person dealt with (linked to Contacts board)
- Transaction Number
- Date of Sale - date column
- Payment Status - a status column
- Notes - a long text column
- Files Column for Supporting Documents
I cannot figure out how to best use that first column!
Transaction number makes sense, but then I’m manually typing them and I’ll easily lose track of which number I am up to and will lead to a mess as this grows, not scalable
Date maybe but that’s not unique so it’s kind of weird for the first column? And you can’t format that first column as a “date” column, so again, unnecessary
Can’t use the company name because it can’t link to the other board and they need to be linked
Can’t use the package purchased because it can’t link to that other board and they need to be linked
I’m at a loss! But I am sure there’s a solution I’m just not seeing.
Thanks for your help as I learn how to best use this system.