I'd like to COLOUR CODE my columns within a board

It would be very useful if there was a way to colour code / block certain columns (or the column headers). For instance - on our boards - often the process is started by one employee (who fills out columns 1-6) and finished by another (who fills out columns 7-10). It would be great to see at a glance who does what. I.e., Columns 1-6 are blocked as BLUE and done by Employee 1. Columns 7-10 are blocked as yellow and done by Employee 2.

This would help us in stopping employees mistakenly filling out columns which don’t belong to them, causing confusion for others and misinformation on boards.

Hi Emma,

This topic already exists here and has more traction:
Column Color Shading - Feature feedback / Board Building Blocks - monday Community

Also, have you tried to use views or shareable views to hide columns you don’t wan’t employees to fill out?

Regards,

Hi @emmablake You can do this already :slight_smile:
Feel free to shoot me an email if you’re having trouble
biancajclement@gmail.com

1 Like

Hi @emmablake - there are a few ways to handle this, ranging from a super low tech way to using a powerful app to manage it:

Easy: Use the conditional coloring option to shade the columns to correspond to the employee who is responsible. You will find it here: Image 2021-08-29 at 3.09.09 PM
You will need to create a new View in order to save the conditional coloring and make it the default for your team so everyone will see it when they visit the board.

Moderate: You can use Column permissions to only allow certain employees to edit certain columns. A board owner can configure the column permissions to keep people from entering data where they shouldn’t (or even seeing it in the first place).

High Tech: If you want to have better control over the process flow and prevent employees from filling out fields that don’t belong to them, consider the Workflow app: monday.com: Apps Marketplace . With it, you can make fields required, control not only which columns but even which statuses an employee can select, and more.

I would be happy to go over any of these in more detail with you on a Zoom call. You can book one here: Book Polished Geek: more with monday.com