Improve Search Results for Multiple Keywords

Great solution! that’s how every other search box works. I don’t see a need for any other discussion, that is how they need to fix this issue. Did you suggest that to them in the form?

There you go. Yeah, just like other search protocols. Something in quotes is searched as a phrase – otherwise it’s searched as keywords. Everybody wins and both searches would take the same amount of time.

1 Like

I did. I had a late night meeting with support and demonstrated why this change is horrible. Gave them that recommendation on the call.

2 Likes

Just a quick update for everyone on this thread. I just got an email confirming that they’re restoring the original functionality of Search. I’m thrilled about this. Hopefully, they’ll come up with a solution that satisfies their customers with massive boards while not abandoning us in the process.

1 Like

I thought I was the only with keyword issue, but here is a whole discussion created. Thanks for making things work as usual.

Great news! Can’t wait.

@Ferghus @bpdesign This is great news, thank you Jerry! I appreciate you keeping up on them. We’ll look forward to the search functionality being restored. thanks guys, have a great day.

I hate to tell everyone this, but I just got an email that says they aren’t going to fix this. It’s a performance improvement. Not for us, obviously, as they broke one of the best things about Monday: really quick and flexible searching. It’s clear that they are catering to a few customers with really large boards.

Jerry, it’s fixed for me! Our team can search with keywords once again, confirmed as of yesterday and working for me today as well.

Your email concerns me though, maybe the VIPs complained and they’re going to switch it back once again?

So disappointing, especially when an easy fix (the quote marks option for searching phrases) would work for everyone. I’ve been checking every day to see if the original functionality had been restored, and this is a huge letdown. The workarounds just don’t cut it. I hate even thinking that I’d have to find an alternative to monday, but being able to quickly search by keywords is such a fundamental need for us.

@bpdesign @Ferghus this is very weird, I don’t know how I have the functionality and you don’t. I just checked again and it is still working for our team, see attached screenshot. Maybe you guys need to logout/log back in? I’m on the Pro plan with 15 seats, are you guys on a lesser plan?
carhartt

We’re on the Pro plan, too. I just did a test and it works for searches like your example, where the keywords are in the same column. But if I search for keywords that are in different columns, it comes up with nothing. So if I search for “Firestone” it shows everything, but if I add “Taproom” to the search (from another column), I get nothing.

@bpdesign Interesting, so they restored it partially, where it only works for one column. That’s still going to cause us troubles but it helps us a little bit. FYI we also do Brewery work, ha!

@Ferghus If you are ok with sharing, I’d love to see the email they sent back to you.

@GoWest I wish it helped us, but we have the customer name in one column and the job name in another. I don’t search for more than one word in the name. The key for us it to be able to search for keywords from other columns, too, to drill down to a specific project for a specific client. (And yeah, we print for most of the wineries & breweries in the area – it’s crazy!)

Correct. It only works if all the keywords are in the same column. That’s not nearly has useful as it was before the broke it. I could find in two seconds items that now take me a few minutes to find.

The most important part of this story, though, is that Monday.com is broken my trust. We build workflows based on the how the product works. Then, they change the functionality and break those workflows. This is the second time this year they’ve broken how we work.

This product positions itself as a “Work OS.” Imagine if Microsoft decided to change the Windows APIs and now 5% of the apps that people use start crashing. Then, Microsoft’s response is, “Yea. We’re not fixing that. It’s a performance improvement.” That certainly wouldn’t fly.

It’s certainly is a performance improvement. Given Monday.com’s crappy attitude towards breaking their customers workflows, they’ll have fewer customers using their resources.

2 Likes

Great point Jerry. I don’t know how the monday.com apps work, I wonder if it’s possible to create an app that replicates the old search functionality.