Improvements on Time tracking column

#1 Manual input of time without setting start & end times needs to be a feature.

It would be especially useful to be able to pick a block of days as well and enter a time for it without having to select specific start & stop times.

Something like:

1. click add session manually
  2. select Feb 8th to Feb 19th
  3. select bulk input
  4. input 28 hours 15 minutes

Additionally, there should be a way to filter the time tracking column by person, so I can see only my own hours that I have added to a project.

6 Likes

We are currently moving a lot of work to monday, but when I presented the different time tracking options to the team they told me that this is not workable. The reason they wanted to go to monday was the ease of use.

What do we really need:
a) Ability to enter time without start and end time
b) Ability to define if time is billable or not
c) provide a comment on time entries
d) Ability to report time based on resource which did it (it is NOT feasible to have one time column per team member).

Hope that after years someone will take care of this, would be weird to have people continue time tracking in Jira.

5 Likes

@Julia-monday.com @brett-monday.com a product plan for time tracking would be great! Please do not simply ignore the needs of your users in this threat anymore. :pray:

5 Likes

Hi Toni,

Itai here from the monday.com team and happy to shed some light here.

First of all, thank you for submitting this feedback and elaborate on your needs - I want to reassure you that we take our users needs and insights in consideration while moving forward with the product. These suggestions / pain points help us a lot in assessing future changes.

While I am afraid that we currently donā€™t have an ETA for any major changes in the time tracking column, we will make sure to update here in within our platform for any major changes :pray:

Best,
Itai

Hi @itaishabtai , im the creator of this thread, this was from nov/2019.
Unfortunately thereĀ“s no explanation here on how to ā€œsurviveā€ to this missing feature and log , measure and create dashboards properly of our team and collaborators hours.
Almost a year and a half and there is no ETA, no APP, no nothing.
There wouldnt to say a paid APP, because there is a native column for this an this is Timetracking column, and still need to be fixed.-
I think with all the stuff that you guys worked on this time, how come there arent any advances on this one, knowing that all or most of all in this accounts need this?

8 Likes

Hi everyone, just started with monday to digitize the project management of a small company. Obviously, timetracking is a necessary tool for that and for accouting, too. In demo the column was shown from one users perspective. Never would Iā€™ve guested that just one person per row can use this (who thought of this??). Well, to late to backup now and I really hope all this pressure on the topic will cause changes @itaishabtai . If you guys @Toooooni @hlopezvc found any suitable solution to the problem I would be thrilled to get some advise. Iā€™m starting my first session to set up our boards next monday. Everyone in my company is super excited about monday and itā€™s quite disappointing to have to start with such concerns.
Best, Philip

4 Likes

Iā€™m absolutely unhappy with our workarround.

1. We try to avoid subtasks. If we use them we always tracking time in the parent element (result is a complete untransparent time tracking)
  2. If more than one user is working on the same task, everybody has to find a free timeslot. (my team hates me now)
  3. Evaluating the tracked time is horrible with dashboards if you just can add 10 boards (donā€™t want to pay enterprise). In addition, I always have bugs in the dashboard time tracking widgets and have to reset theire settings every time (for each widget) so that I get the correct values. At the end of every month I spend hours to that topic.
  4. Looking for monday alternatives. Iā€™m really unhappy with the thought to change and setup another tool again, but perspektive this is not a state that I want to maintain.
7 Likes

Hey there,
I also line up with this thread. Furthermore Iā€™d like to ask the community, if you have found a way yet, to track an SLA against the creation date of an item? Call it a simple ticketing functionality. As far as I could get with Monday.com, I couldnā€™t get this little functionality for one of our boards running.
Any help highly appreciated.
Cheers, Alex

1 Like

Hi @Alexander could you elaborate your need and use case for SLA?

Another possibility to make the timetracking more effective would be being able to name the timetracking entries.

2 Likes

Hi, not sure another comment is needed on this thread by I wanted to support the (very real) need for some improvements on this :

1. Being able to log hours by simply logging the amount of time we want to add rather than selecting which hours of which days
  2. Being able for 2 people to add time simultaneously (and correct reporting of time tracked per person)
  3. For admins to be able to add/correct time entries for other people

This is major. It needs to be more user friendly and 100% reliable since we bill our clients based on time spent. @itaishabtai @brett-monday.com Please help !

6 Likes

Hi @Pauline & others on this thread. There is a new time tracking app that is coming out very soon. Thereā€™s a special preview webinar being offered here: Need an expert for an intricate Time Sheet Tracking For Employees - #18 by Thomas-Omnitas

disclaimer: We are not the app developers, this is by a fellow monday partner and weā€™re expecting it to be awesome!

4 Likes

I tested this new time tracking app (beta) but it is already in its basic architecture not a solution for my problems. I thought I could simply add a new board view which pulls the pulses out of my main view and than I can use a better working time tracking function for all of my pulses. But it is more complicated and I donā€™t unterstand why.
You have to connect your board, and insert every pulse you want to track time on. Why so complicated? We use something around 30 boards with more than 500 pulses in total. And all these pulses need to be filled with work logs.

@itaishabtai: Just fix the time tracking function! I already tested Awork and theire solution is just awesome and simple. Unfortunately they have other problems. :joy:

3 Likes

Hi i dont have tested Yet but our usecase Is the same that above. The process of timetracking control AND report needs to be More simpleā€¦

1 Like

Adding to the request. Time tracking and reporting needs an update!

1 Like

Amazing that Monday donā€™t get the message. Time tracking and reporting is alfa/omega.

We are soon leaving Monday looking for better tools.

I have asked for this for a long time now.

5 Likes

Hi All! Any updates regarding:

1. Simultaneous Time Tracking
  2. Time Tracking Notes (a text entry for each time log)

Our team (and clients) are dying for these features!

5 Likes

Hi All

I just wanted to add my support to this request and disbelief at the lack of a detailed response with either an ETA or indication of intention to address (or not). This type of functionality is core to the tool as is the underlying support and communication from the provider.

As with others we will need to look at an alternate tool which is a great shame given the other features that make the tool a good oneā€¦ but it has unbelievably poor time tracking - the delay and lack of any indication of a timeline or intention to address shows a problem with customer communication and a lack of short / medium and long term internal planning. Itā€™s probably on a plan somewhere at monday HQ, hopefully for just one resource if you need to track actual time spent easily :wink: and dont for heavens sake use subitems and then want to roll those totals into the top level for dashboard widgetsā€¦

Literally have my team using a spreadsheet for time tracking nowā€¦ :grinning:

Have a great day all.

Best regards,

Andy

8 Likes

Hi Andy

Totally agree and has asked for improvement on this for 1,5 year now.

We also are looking for at better tool now with proper time tracking!

Sad Monday donā€™t understand time tracking is alfa/omega

4 Likes

How has there not been a real response to this thread yet? We need a solution to this. Our whole team just transitioned to using Monday about a month ago and already this is such a huge headache. Itā€™s going to have an enormous impact on our reporting/invoicing and our own productivity. Right now, as it stands, the time tracking column is NOT a functional feature. @itaishabtai please address this. A huge factor in our choosing to use Monday was the time tracking feature and itā€™s sad that, so far, this feature has been a nightmare to navigate.

6 Likes