Its finally here....Subitems Alpha Release!

Where do we provide feedback & share bugs on Alpha/Beta items?
I am getting notifications for sub-items on private boards I am not subscribed to.

1 Like

Hi, there! Sub items are great, will we be able to use automations and dependencies?
Thanks!

I started using subitems, and I have the following feedback:

1. It’s great to have this option to organize projects!
  2. Convert item to subitem and vice-versa. Like someone else mentioned, I also had to create new subitems from scratch and then delete item, when I was hoping to just easily drag and drop. Please make this a priority!!!
  3. I need automations for: a)only subitems, b) only main-level items, c) both. It will be great if I can create an automation and then check a box saying to which tasks it should apply, a), b) or c).
  4. Add more options for Done subitems. Right now I can only archive. I’d like to be able to move them a done group. Or something similar that makes them “out of the way”, but readily available in case I want to check something.
3 Likes

Hey @brett-monday.com,

Great addition indeed, was looking forward for this.

One suggestion that I didn’t catch on this thread and is not present on roadmap is that I would really like to create Dashboards and Graphs with subitems.

For example our Sales board. We would create a Pulse with client infromation, and then we create subitems for each item they’re going to purchase. I would like to generate graphs with the information in there, like statistic of products purchased, quantity, prices etc.
I hope it’s possible to add, since all subitems inside one board share the same hierarchy.

We currently have to combine all data on one pulse, and even though it does the job, it’s rather messy.

Great work so far!

2 Likes

In general we love the subitems! We have some feedback from users on extra capability which would be useful:

Change item to a subitem
Duplicate items with subitems
Move subitems to other items.

Thanks,
Rachel

2 Likes

Hello im agree with all previous comment and all the sub-item roadmap.

i would like to add this features:

• exporting and printing options including subitems (here my request is not to print to whole board, my request is to give individual option to print or export a group with their items and subitems, or a item with their subitems, in the context menu right clicking.
  • a super cool automation feature could be
    WHEN A TIMELINE IS CONFIGURED CREATE A SUBITEM FOR EACH X DAYS ON TIMELINE.
  • other automation
    WHEN EVERY STATUS IN SUBITEMS IS DONE CHANGE STATUS TO XXXXX
  • Full mobile app compatibility
  • Possibility on creating subitems template for a type of pulse or via automation
    WHEN STATUS “TYPE OF TASK” IS “PROCEDURE NUMBER 1” CREATE SUBPULSES USING THIS TEMPLATE.
  • Link to many columns and fix the mirror columns that actually are not working when you link many boards.

And the last but not less important request:
CUSTOM AUTOID FOR PULSES AND SUBPULSES- We dont want the pulse ID column for our process. We need something like AUTOID but with the next improvements (already posted)

1 Like

I am a new user and happy to see that I came to MONDAY at the right time, since subtasks are absolutely essential to what we do. I have some questions:

1. The way it is implemented now, it seems you can only create sub-tasks to an item, but not sub-tasks to a sub-task? Is that correct? I am asking, because I would like to have the possibility to create a whole hierarchy with multiple levels of tasks.

2. As others have pointed out, I would like to see the possibility of moving subtask one (or more) levels up and down.

3. In our use case, it would make sense that the subtasks, by default, copy the structure of the main items, rather than creating a new and very basic structure.

Thanks for being so transparent about this process, all best regards.

My team uses boards for scheduling social media posts, so our use of the mobile app is frequent. We have just started implementing use of sub-items which has been very helpful on desktop for organizing posts by topic (main item) and platform (sub-items), yet have run into the problem of not being able to view sub-items on mobile. In short:

• Full view of sub-items on mobile
1 Like

Hii!

Are sub-items possible to add to a created model?

Thanks!

New user here!
We are considering Monday for our company and subitems are mandatory. Here is my feedback:

-Timeline of the item should be the range of the first and last date of the subitems

• Dependencies. If I have to finish subitem1 to start with subitem2, I should see a warning message if I select DONE in subitem2 and subitem1 is still in progress.

• When I create a subitem I would like to have 2 options: new columns structure (current configuration) or maintain the columns of the item.

• Visualize subitems in boards

• Visualize subitems in boards

1 Like

Hi everyone! I want to say thank you for all of the feedback and suggestions, we really appreciate you taking the time to pass it along even during these difficult times.

After reading through most of your comments, I can say for certain that most of the functionalities asked about in this thread will become available in the future. While we do not have an exact ETA at the moment, you can always keep up with our roadmap :slight_smile:

To highlight, some of the things that are we are looking to do in the future:

• Support with automations
  • Support in dashboards and views
  • Duplication of items with subitems
  • Converting items into subitems and vice versa
  • Exporting to Excel
  • Filtering Subitems
  • Moving subitems between parents

Thank you all for your patience with us as we continue to build this out! Your feedback is more than welcomed!

4 Likes

@brett-monday.com When do you expect these to be ready on mobile? I do not see is on the product roadmap. Our team uses mobile (and tablets) 75% of the time.

1 Like

Where IS the product roadmap?

The link to the official Roadmap was broken weeks ago and reported to Monday.com but has never been fixed. It still re-directs to a random “product” page.
https://monday.com/roadmap

Monday Support advised a while ago that they are working on a new Roadmap but I’ve seen nothing yet.

Seems we’re all in the dark about what Monday.com are working on.

1 Like

Grt stuff! Would be great if subitems would be convertable to pulses with 1 click.

Here is the subitems roadmap. https://view.monday.com/480751376-c22b2fe6c069076f55f20289b4d3f04f @brett-monday.com shared at the top of the thread here.

1 Like

Acknowledged with thanks @abiciea.

I guess my comment was out of context in this discussion which relates solely to subitems.

I’m really referring to the Monday.com product Roadmap as a whole which has gone AWOL.

1 Like

Subitems look great, and the roadmap answers a number of requests that we have. One thing that I do not see specifically on the roadmap is the ability to view subitems in “shared” boards, something that is embeddable and viewable to the public. Currently any subitem related column as well as the subitems themselves do not show up on shared boards.

1 Like

Hey @brett-monday.com , throwing an idea out there. Private vs public sub-items. So essentially allowing any user to create more than one sub-item column.

Congrats on the new feature! May I ask if there will be an update on

(1) using defined subitems as template (major);
According to your Roadmap you are working on a duplicate but I am not sure if we would b able to use it as template when inserting data in the board with Forms (external-with link).

and
(2) option to link the number column from the subitems to the pulse (less major for operations but major for CRM functionalities)?

UPD: The second can be applied with mirroring.

Examples for:
Question (1): my company operates in the field of Certification. Hence, for a company to get certified, a series of main-steps (pulses) and sub-steps (subitems) must be fulfilled. As a result, I am looking for a option where I can email to the board a new request for a certification and automatically this item generates also the subitems that I have already predefined as “template”.

Question (2): UPD: Can be applied with mirroring.
on a CRM board, a company gets recorded to a pulse and the subitems on this pulse indicate the type of services that are continuously invoiced to this company in a year.

1. Company - details - function=1300$ (sum of all subitems)

• 1.a Subitem: Application review - details - 300$*
  • 1.b Subitem: Inspection - details - 500$*
  • 1.c Subitem: Inspection 2 - details - 500$*

Useful tip: If I could also automate the creation of a subitem here by a creation of an item (or a status change) from a pulse in another board (e.g. technical management of the specific operator), well that would be awesome(!).

:rocket: Another example would be for mass balance checking or a stock check (subitems-insert // pulses demonstrate the stock picture). I hope you get the idea.

In any case, I believe automations with subitems will come in due time.

1 Like

I am also looking for something very similar. I was able to accomplish this by creating 2-4 template pulses with pre-defined and not populated statuses and using the copy + paste tool to copy a group of “template” sub-items onto another new pulse but there ended up being issues after a few copy+paste actions. During the process it broke nearly all of my subitems and they would no longer populate so I would not suggest this until they have some type of duplicate or template ability in place. Great feature set but still a little buggy.

We are using ours a project management tool in an AV-IT trade where we apply the same set of deliverables (hopefully sub-items) to every project. We have large and small projects so one group of subitems for smaller projects and a larger group of typical subitems for larger projects. This will keep our board from being a mile wide while still giving us a nice 10,000ft view on our group of open projects as a whole with a nice ability to open the sub-item group and drill down deeper.

Looking forward to getting this working nicely!