Limiting edit permission of external guests

• Hi we want clients to see reports of their projects. As monday doesnt allow to share dashboards without sharing the board the data comes from we have to invite them also to the board. The problem comes because guests are able to edit and we do not want that to happened. So the solution we have found is to have them as viewers but by default viewers have access to all public boards and structure of workspaces and that is not good at all.

• On the other hand, even we prefer them not to see the board, if that has to be so, we would like to hide some columns but when we do that autmations do not work.

• We neither want clients to see updates. ¿Is it possible to limit uupdates?

We are finding all the permission issues quite confusing and not very practical.

PS: We are on a pro plan.
Hope you can help

hi @elena
Have you tried setting the board permissions to “Edit item assigned to…”, like this

@basdebruin thanks, yes I tried that but then my team can not create new items. I tried to solve it with an automation that creates items with default person assigned but the item is blocked equally till you reload. A bit tricky.
Another solution??? Thsnkssss

Not really an alternative. You can add your team members in a team and use column edit restrictions to that team. Is that a solution for your use case?

Could make internal members board owners

@basdebruin yes that could be an option, thank you! In this case we would have to one by one every column (we have lotsss, also subitems columns) set edit restrictions, adding all team members. I dont seem to have the option on giving edit permission to teams, only individual members. We should also have to remember that any time we create a column restrict. But seems the only solution we have. Thank you!!!

@nealb thank you for your alternative, but in that case all team members would have the possibility to change structure, automations, etc. Isn’t so?
Thank you very much!

Thee add to correct unfortunately. @elena

Thankyou @nealb

And another issue @basdebruin even if i set all columns to edit restriction the first main column, the name does not have such option no?

That’s correct @elena . I’m not sure I fully understand. Do you want your team members to be able to create items (and also modify the first column) and restrict others form making changes to the board? In that case I would give “the others” a viewers role and not using public boards.

tanks for your help @basdebruin yes exacltly i want team members to be able to create and modify most of the columns inclueded name, and clients only to view. But if “others” are viewers as you say everyone of the company will have to be aware of creating a public board because they will automatically be visible for “others” that are external companies. I have seen that even if we create private boards, the viewer see the structure of workspaces and folders. I dont feel comfortable with that. We even would like that “others” couldnt see boards but only the dashboard with reports.

Thanks for sharing your knoledge @basdebruin I find permission a bit confusing.

Hi @elena, in this situation a 2-board method might work for you.

• The primary board is your regular “working” board, set to accommodate your staff and all they need to do.

• The second board is a child board that the client can be invited to as a Guest, linked to the first board with Connect Boards columns. If you then set the permissions of the child board to “Write updates only,” the client will be able to see that board (and only that board, as a Guest) but not edit anything on it. They will still be able to post Update notes to you.

• The main board can be automated to create a linked copy on the child board every time a new item is created. So there is a parallel item that the client can see on “their” board.

• On the child board, you mirror the status column from the main board. Then set up automations on the child board (when a status changes, change another status to something) and use the mirrored status column as the trigger to change the child board status to match. You’ll create an automation for each status label, one to one. This works because mirror columns can now drive some automations, like this one, thank you monday.com! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: The Connect Boards & Mirror columns will be invisible to the client since they are not invited to the connected (main) board. They’ll just see the non-mirrored columns.

• You can take it a step further and install the Conversations Marketplace app on the main board. This app allows you to see Update posts from any linked item in the main item’s Updates panel. It’s a one-way street, they can’t see your Updates the other direction unless you install the module on that board as well. So your client can post Updates to you on their board (no app installed), and you can see them appear on the working board (app installed), while keeping your working Updates private from them.

• And one more handy app is General Caster, which you can use to keep some columns updated to match the main board, when the mirror column + automation trick won’t do the job. General Caster can “cast” data to various column types, like text, numbers, etc.

So now you have a matching board, with restricted permissions (but still the ability to post Update notes to you), that is kept synced with the main board so you don’t have to manually update the child board all the time. Client can see what you want them to see, and it doesn’t interfere with your workflow. I hope this gives you some ideas!

2 Likes

I forgot to mention, the child board doesn’t even have to have all the same columns, you can eliminate those you don’t want them to see. And you can use the other features like conditional coloring, filtering, custom views, etc. to refine their board just the way you want.

2 Likes