Link a sub-item from board A to an item from board B via automations

Hello everyone,

Do you know if it is possible when I create a subitem in board A for example, it automatically create a item in board B with same information ?

thank you very much,

Corentin

3 Likes

Hey @corentin.dalfarra,

Not possible at the moment, although it’s something we’re looking to do in the future! Keep checking custom automations, as we continue to add more support for subitems with those.

Feel free to write to us (at support@monday.com) as well in case we can give you more detailed support with your specific workflow.

1 Like

Hello @TRB-monday.com

Thank you for your answer, I will wait for new product release then.

Have a great day,
Corentin

Something I’d also be interested in!

2 Likes

@corentin.dalfarra @Tudor @TRB-monday.com

This is achievable now! You just have to trigger it with a Status change. See automation which supports subitems:
“When status changes to something, create an item in board”.

So define all of your subitem columns on board A, make sure they are present on board B and the fill out the automation. Have a status column in your subitems that says something like “Create” as a trigger and you should be all set.

What is still though, missing in the ability to link them via the “Connect Boards” column like you can with parent items. But if you just want to create a new item from a subitem Monday now allows that.

2 Likes

Hi,

Can this be done so the new item takes the same description as the subitem I’ve created? the only way I can use this automation is to create a new item with a description of ‘New Item’

@JaneN

This should work with the following automation as an example:

You need to choose the board first, then you can edit the default values of the item:

Where is says “name” is the name of the subitem is being created from.

@andrewalmand thanks that’s worked!

Do you know how to also get other subitem columns brought across too? i.e not just the name? I have looked in the dropdown but am only given the options for the item columns, not the subitem columns

1 Like

@JaneN

Not all columns are supported, but for example if you have a status in your Subitem that you want reflected on the new parent level item. First make sure the status options are the same, then just choose the supported inputs.

See example. You just have to scroll all they way down to the “Subitems supported fields”.

My company really need for this feature/automation to support the ‘Connect Boards” column. What were aiming is a custom automation that would create an item in “board B” with a status change in a subitem from board A to a specific status, connecting the subitem in board A to the created item in board B.

@TRB-monday.com @monday-team

2 Likes

Hello,

When will this functionality be available?

For planning purposes, I am wanting to link subitems via the “Connect Boards” column, similar to parent items.

Is there a workaround for this?

3 Likes

We would also link this functionality to link subitems in addition to columns.

1 Like

Hi @Admeirel and @Arielle :wave:

I would recommend checking out our https://view.monday.com/1092205827-f4c654f1e91a8e4e76eedbb64150c940?r=use1 to see the upcoming releases and additions to the custom automations.

I do see that we are planning to add a number of triggers and actions around connecting boards in our ‘next up’ section, as well as the ability to trigger automations on the basis of a subitem being created.
You’ll find each of these releases have an anticipated release date, but it’s worth noting that these are subject to change.

It sounds like these additions could be a good option for you!

I hope this helps! Remember to mark as solved if this answers your question :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Best,

Dani

1 Like

Still awaiting a automation revolving around sub item and connect boards

1 Like

Hello @TRB-monday.com, I see this question was asked almost 2 years ago. When you say your team is looking into this feature for the future, is that 3-years time, 4-years time, 10-years time? I see many of these types of responses by your team on this community and have started to interpret it to mean: “Thank you for your question, but this is not a feature that will be implemented any time soon.”

2 Likes

Hi Dani,
Any updated with this issue? looking for the option to create item in anothe board and connect to sub item.
The roadmap link is broken.
Thanks,
Meytal

@meytalPeleg @Cole @Dani vlookup marketplace app will help you achieve this. We added the capability to link monday boards sub-items using automations few weeks ago. Let me know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Is it possible to copy all sub-items from Item B when a new Item A is created in the same board but Item B is in Group B and Item A is in Group A? Item A is created via an automation. Any help would be appreciated.