Making resources selectable only once for a given date range

Hi all, I am brand new to Monday.com and need some help. I am testing Monday as a potential CRM for a client who has a bike tour company. Apart from guides/staff, the other resources they need to manage are bikes, vans and accommodation.
I have started focusing on bikes and figure if I can get Monday.com to work the way I need it to work for bikes I will be able to expand and adapt to the other resource types.
But, I haven’t figured out how to make Monday work the way I want.
What I would like to be able to do is, for each client on a bike tour with certain tour dates, be able to select a given bike code only once and only if it’s available.
Eg if the Tour dates are 2 - 9 May 2021 and the client’s name is Bob Jones, if I select the bike called 20HonzoSmall then no other customer would be able to select the same bike for the same or overlapping tour dates. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Currently, I have set up a Status field with a unique Code (Status) for each bike and can view bike usage in the Workload view. However, it is possible to select the same bike/status more than once for any dates, so this is not as full-proof as I would like. I have also considered using an automation but thought I would get some input from experienced Monday.com users first so as to hopefully now waste too much time going in the wrong direction.

Thanks in advance, Patrick

Hi @patrickfallon

Welcome to the community. To be honest I don’t think you can achieve what you want out-of-the-box. As you stated a resource (in this case a bike) can be assigned multiple times. I did created an app to prevent that but that app doesn’t take dates into account. If your use case can be made more generic I can always have a look to build an app that supports the more generic use case.

Let me know how you want to proceed with this. If you are interested in an app for this let’s discuss how the recipe should look like and try to make it generic. An important part of this discovery is the question: where do you select your bike from, is that from a status?

Thanks Bas,

That’s pretty much what I expected but good to know, thanks for taking the time to post.

Patrick Fallon
CHAT WITH ME
+6421737356
www.fallon.co.nz