Merge fields and rename NAME column

I have a board that lists all our projects going back to 2003 or so. It started its life in Excel. The first column in Excel was job # and the second was job name. That made more sense in Excel than it does in Monday. I’m thinking that it would be preferable to merge the two, but I’m not sure how.

It currently looks like this:

I’d prefer it to look like this: (ignore the project name)

Something like [[CONCAT Proj#, " - ", ProjName]] would be easy enough, but how can I get that resulting value to overwrite the project number, which is Monday’s index column (or whatever they call it)?

Thanks!

bump :slight_smile:
trying again
anyone…???

@jscottsmith

Hey Scott,

There are a number of options available. On another day I’d make a list… Just contact me directly and we will get it done.

Jim - Subscribe to The Monday Man
Watch Our Latest Video: The Power of the Right-Click

Hello @jscottsmith!

You could use our API to retrieve the information from those columns, concatenate the values on your end and then make another request to change the items’ names.

{
  boards(ids: 11223344) {
    items {
      name
      column_values(ids: "text") {
        text
      }
    }
  }
}
mutation {
  change_simple_column_value(board_id: 11223344, item_id: 12345678, column_id: "name", value: "Your concatenated value") {
    id
  }
}

Could this be a possibility for you?

If you have further questions, you can contact me at appsupport@monday.com

Cheers,
-Matias

I don’t know anything about Mondays API. Where would I find out more about how to do this?

Scott

Hey @jscottsmith!

You can find all the documentation here!

You would need a query to retrieve the values and another one to populate the name of the items with the new string (as the examples I sent earlier).

You can also send us an email to appsupport@monday.com and we can go deeper into this if you want :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
-Matias

The easiest way is to make the modification with integromat

I have Integromat but haven’t figured out how to put it all together. Care to walk me through it?

Hi @jscottsmith

The first time it’s not easy with integromat, afterwards it’s essential

Objective :

1st module :

2nd module :

To make a test on a line

Make a copy of the table for testing purposes :wink:

Hey @YannD

Sorry it has taken so long to try this, but… Thanks! It worked!

1 Like

@jscottsmith You can do that with General Caster
https://generalcaster.app

It depends on how much you value the time you spend in doing basic things… :man_shrugging: