Migrating from Basecamp - advice needed

Hi everyone,

I’m currently trialing Monday.com and it looks great. I’ve been running my marketing agency for over 12 years now and we’ve been on Basecamp most of it. I’ve long been thinking of moving to something else to help manage our teams tasks more efficiently - Monday seems to fit the bill.

However, I’m keen to hear from anyone who has migrated (from Basecamp ideally but could be something else) to Monday and learn about their experience.

My initial concerns are that BC has messaging so we can communicate with clients without using email boxes - I don’t see a way to do this in Monday, can anyone suggest how they handle this?

Thank you in advance and any pointers would be appreciated!

Hitesh

1 Like

Hi @Reposition
We’re going through exactly the same exercise at the moment, and Messages is the one thing we’re really struggling with. We’re considering the following options:

• Carry on using Basecamp for messages
  • Use another app for messages (e.g. Honey)
  • Try and get out of the habit, using updates (item level chat), discussions (board level chat), and documents (we use Google Docs) only.

What conclusion did you come to?

Thanks,
Jon

Hi @stuttters - The more you can move your conversations into monday, the more efficient your team will be and clients love the transparency. So I would vote for your last bullet on the list. I had a short conversation just this morning with someone else struggling with the same questions, and showed her several different approaches for client communication. If you’d like to do the same, you can book a strategy meeting with me here: Book a call with Polished Geek: Do more with monday․com

Thanks for the response, but this feels like a big compromise.

Basecamp is our knowledge-base as well as a message repository and chat forum. For example, I can post a nicely formatted message about a staff benefit, and the team can comment on that. It’s easy to read and provides great employee experience.

In Monday, perhaps this could be posted in a Staff Benefits board.
But it’s then buried in a list of Items, which looks more than a to-do list than a list of messages (because it is).
When the team read it, they have to do it in a little popup. This doesn’t look great and by default uses only a third of my screen.
Comments then get buried, because there is so much scrolling in the little popup.

So yes, this works. But it’s a backwards step from what we have now, and I’m hoping there’s a better way because I realise the Monday is better than BC in so many other respects.

And as for customers, they only want to use email anyway. BC isn’t bad at this, but Monday is certainly worse (though I expect it will catch up pretty quickly).