Move Item to Board

Is there a way to move an item to a different board using the API? I’ve found a way to move it to a different group but not a different board.

Hey @darren :wave:

Our API does not currently support moving an item between boards. Only between groups on the same board.

With that said, there’s a couple workarounds you might implement:

1 - Login to monday.com and set up an automation so that on status change, the item will move to a different board. (This will then retain the same Item ID on both boards.)

This will require a bit of setup within the UI, but you can then trigger the automation by changing the status column via API.

2 - Query the item’s relevant columns, create a new item on another board using those same column values, then archive or delete the original item. (This will not retain the same Item ID on both boards)

Might one of those options work for you? :slight_smile:

-Scott

Thanks for the response. We’ve been using option number 2 and it works.

Thanks

1 Like

I could really use this feature. Currently we use the automation to move all of our “done” design work to a “done” group and then move all of these to a board at the end of the month. Ideally i’d like to be able to set an automation for when a status changes to move the item to a different board.

1 Like

Hey @samtoms :wave:

I will definitely add this as a feature request to our roadmap, as I’m sure there are others who would benefit from this being an option within the API. That said, we do have a feature just like that in our automations already:

Is that not working out for you in your workflow? Please let me know so we can assess the positive impact that this feature would have for our users. :slight_smile:

-Alex

1 Like

Hi @AlexSavchuk you’re quite right! I looked for it several times but just missed it. Got it and it works perfectly. Thank you!

2 Likes

@samtoms YAY! I’m glad that could work for you in the meantime :slight_smile: Thanks for letting me know.

-Alex

Hey @Scott-monday.com , Currently, I can copy an item without updates to another board, but I need to copy WITH its UPDATES. I used the 2nd option you mentioned, but I’m not able to create a new item WITH updates. Is there a way to do that via API? .

@jchambilla

My best suggestion to this would be using the duplicate_item mutation, and then use the “with_updates” field. This would create an exact copy of the item and store the original updates you had within the item:

That said, you would still need a way to move this item to a different board, and I would suggest using the automation recipe shown earlier in the thread to help with this. You’d just need to change the Status value on the item to the one that could trigger the move to a different board.

What do you think?

-Alex

2 Likes

We have a workflow that involves moving items with a linked column. Board A items are linked to Board B. Later, we move items from Board B to Board C and need to retain the linked items from Board A. I was going to use the API to trigger a status change so that an automation can move the item to the other board. The issue I’m facing is: the automation cannot move the linked column and maintain the link. Do you have any suggestions? We need to keep the updates with the item when it’s moved.

1 Like

Hello @jsearcy and welcome to the community!

I hope you like it here :muscle:

Just to be sure we are on the same page here, you have board A, B and C.

1. Board A: Has regular items
  2. Board B: Has regular items and some items mirrored from board A (is showing columns from board A’s items)
  3. You are moving items from board B to a board C and you want the items to retain the linkage to board A (so in this case, board C would be showing board’s A columns in mirrored columns).

Is this correct?

Looking forward to hearing from you :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Matias

Thanks for the response! That’s correct. The only clarification I’ll mention is that the link is 2-way between Board A and Board B/C.

Hello again @jsearcy!

I think you can achieve what you want by just connecting the connect boards column in board A to the two other boards (B and C). In this way, when you move the item between boards, the linkage should work.

Let me know how that works for you!

Cheers,
Matias

Thanks again for your input. We already have board A linked to boards B and C. When we manually move a linked item from B to C, the link remains. The issue is: we need the API to move the item from B to C. In order to accomplish this, we have the API change a status to trigger an automation to move the item. Within the automation builder, there isn’t an option to move the linked column with the item, so the link is lost when the item is moved. Thanks for your continued help.

1 Like

Hello again @jsearcy!

That sounds odd since it works for me when testing it.

What do you say if you schedule a call with us so we can troubleshoot together?

Looking forward to hearing from you :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Matias

Good morning. I am running into the same issue as @jsearcy. The ability to move linked items across boards works when manually triggered using the Move option, but when trying to automate it, the option to “map” the origin column to the receiving column does not populate.

Manual move

Automation setup - mapping not available

That is exactly my issue. I haven’t had the time to schedule a call, but the weird thing is the automation used to let you map linked columns.

@jsearcy Schedule that call! We’re all dying to hear the results :grin:

1 Like

I’m having this same issue! Manual movement of items to destination board maintains linkages in connect board columns, but I have not found a way to configure the automation to do this.

Quick update – this was released in API version 2023-10! You can now move an item to a board using a mutation.

It takes a column_mapping argument which defines which columns should be mapped from one board to another.

Check out the docs here - Items