Move items between groups - automation

I have a board that tracks tasks through a workflow process - so each task goes through 5 stages and there is a status column for each.

In this process, approvals are required. I want to set it up so that when a status is changed to “Awaiting Approvals” the task is moved to the “Approvals” group - (This allows managers to have a view of all approvals across boards in their dashboard) but I want to be able to set an automation so that when the approvals status is set to done, it moves back to the original group.

I have tried a few options, like when a status is set to x create an item in group x (but being that automations are board wide, this means every time that particular status - it will drop the task into that particular group).

Is there some work around I haven’t explored or is this sort of thing just now able to be automated?

Maybe this will help…

Stage is a status column with possible values: Stg1, Stg3, Stg3, Stg4, Stg5
Approval is a status column with possible values: Approved, Awaiting Approval
The following are groups: Group1, Group2, Group3, Group4, Group5, Approvals

Automations to move item to next stage group:
When Stage changes to Stg1 and Approval is not Awaiting Approval , move item to Group1
When Stage changes to Stg2 and Approval is not Awaiting Approval , move item to Group2
When Stage changes to Stg3 and Approval is not Awaiting Approval , move item to Group3
When Stage changes to Stg4 and Approval is not Awaiting Approval , move item to Group4
When Stage changes to Stg5 and Approval is not Awaiting Approval , move item to Group5

Automation to move item to approval group:
When Approval changes to Awaiting Approval , move item to Approvals

Automations to move approved item back to stage group:
When Approval changes to Approved and Stage is Stg1 , move item to Group1
When Approval changes to Approved and Stage is Stg2 , move item to Group2
When Approval changes to Approved and Stage is Stg3 , move item to Group3
When Approval changes to Approved and Stage is Stg4 , move item to Group4
When Approval changes to Approved and Stage is Stg5 , move item to Group5

This sounds like an interesting work around, may possibly solve my problem - I will give it a try! Thanks for the response - I will let you know how it goes :slight_smile: