Need Help With Custom Dashboard Widget?

The main thing I’m trying to accomplish is opening the side view in the screenshot below when clicking on an item without exiting my dashboard widget. Currently is exits my custom dashboard widget when the “start conversation” button is clicked in the item card. I want my widget to function just like you see in the current map view. It simply opens it on the side without leaving the screen.

I am working on a custom dashboard widget. Inside of that widget, the user will be able to interact with individual items. Using the SDK in React, I have successfully implemented opening the item card. Currently, when you click on an item in the widget, it will pull up that item card. The functionality I have built in is very similar to the current map view where when you click on an item, it opens a box. You then click on the “view item” button and it opens the item card. I am trying to emulate the functionality the map view has when you click on the “start conversation” button within that item card, it opens it in a way that is in a container that does not open and load another page. It simply overlays the side panel over the current view so that when you want to quickly go back to the map, you do not have to go back to that particular webpage, you just exit the side panel.

I want this functionality in my dashboard widget, where the user clicks on the “start conversation” button to get to that view of the item without loading into that particular board. Currently, when you click the “start conversation” button it takes you out of the dashboard into that particular board which is very inconvenient and almost defeats the purpose of the dashboard widget as for our use case, we are in and out of that updates view constantly for each item.

I know that I could create a custom component that could be a workaround, but I’m hoping there is a component or a feature of the SDK I’m just missing where this could be easily accomplished.

Hey @christian.lee :wave:

That’s a great question!

I’m afraid that at this time, this is not an option that we provide via the SDK. I can only recommend developing this within your app itself, although I understand that creates additional effort for you in this case.

I hope this helps clarify, at least :slight_smile:

-Alex

Thanks for the reply. I realize that the SDK doesn’t support it at this time.

I guess I was hoping that someone would be able to explain, share the component, or provide some further details on how it is handled in the map currently. The way it is handled in the “my work” is very nice as well. It looks like it’s just a container with the item card on the left and the “updates” section on the right.

Is the updates section a Monday component? And if so is it in monday-ui-react-core?

@christian.lee

Thank you for circling back with me!

I’m not quite sure I understand. Just to make sure we’re on the same page here, are you looking for the design element that would look similar to the Updates Section? I’m afraid it is not in the monday-ui-react-core, as far as I’m aware, but you can use our general UI principles to recreate the look.

Does that help clarify? Let me know1

-Alex

Yes, that definitely answers my question! I hope in the future it gets added to the SDK, it would be a great addition. For now, I will just build something that works for our use case. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

1 Like

Of course :slight_smile:

Thank you for your understanding and patience! We do hope to release more and more design elements in the future.

-Alex

1 Like