Parsing error column value for date when creating item with GraphQL API

I am updating a board with items where I need to pass a date value to a date column. It keeps coming with parsing errors when reaching the column_values part of the query. I’ve gotten different parsing errors depending on where I escape and where I put quotes. som errors even generate a full html page for a technical issue page in monday. Here is my code:

headers = {"Authorization" : apiKey, "Content-Type": "application/json"}

date = value[9:19]

query3 = '''mutation {create_item (board_id: 1135506612, group_id: "topics", item_name: "Finished W&D", column_values: "{\"date1\" : \"%s\"}") {id}}''' % (f'{date}')

data3 = {'query' : query3}

r3 = requests.post(url=apiUrl, json=data3, headers=headers)

response = r3.json()

The weird thing is, that when I post this into the playground, it creates a new item with the date.

mutation {create_item (board_id: 1135506612, group_id: "topics", item_name: "Finished W&D", column_values: "{\"date1\" : \"2023-01-01\"}") {id}}

What am I missing? Been working on this for way too long, and I’ve tried every possible combination of escaping and quoting.

A few parsing error examples:

{'errors': [{'message': 'Parse error on " " (STRING) at [1, 132]'
[{'message': 'Parse error on " : " (STRING) at [1, 132]', 'locations': [{'line': 1, 'column': 132}]}]

For anyone finding this, I solved it, this is the correct query:

query3 = '''mutation {create_item (board_id: 1135506612, group_id: "topics", item_name: "Finished W&D", column_values: "{\\\"date1\\\" : \\\"%s\\\"}") {id}}''' % (f'{date}')

Hello @PatrickAPI and welcome to the community!

I am glad you found the issue!

Let us know if you have any other questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Matias