People Column not being connected to a user

I have a high-level project board where every item is a project. We put in there all of the high-level stuff we need to know. Budget link, client name, dates, where the project is in the production process, etc, etc, etc.

One of the things we track is who is or who we want to have working on the project (usually these are consultants or separate businesses that we work with so not people with an account in our monday.com space). Right now, I type it out in a long-form text column of who is working on what. It would be so much better if I could use the people column (or a similar column) so I can filter it to see who is working on what and to make sure that we aren’t over-working/under-working businesses we have under contract.

Hi, @LandonWilkins - A little known tip for this very thing is to use an empty (fake) Team as the user. We have clients using Teams to plan and manage external resource assignments in the People column, without having to add them as Guests.

Click on your avatar, then Teams. Create a new Team and give it a descriptive name for the consultant or external vendor. Remove yourself from the Team and leave it empty. You can also upload an icon, image or logo into the avatar for the team to make them easier to tell apart. Then add the empty/fake Team to your board and in your People columns as needed.

Voila - you can track their assignments, even use the Workload view as if they are an actual user.

~ Deb Cinkus
Product-certified Partner

:houses: Want to chat live with other monday․com fans & users?
Join our unofficial community chat on Discord: The Monday Neighborhood

2 Likes

This is a great idea! I’ll try that out! :slight_smile:

Brilliant Deb! This is super smart (and sneaky!). I love it.

1 Like