Populating multiple boards from an original board

I am creating a work flow in Monday. In our Learning and Development department we have to populations we serve: Associates (HQ) and our Agencies. I’m in charge of entering and tracking class requests for both areas we service. My board is for servicing class requests. I want my board to populate two other boards when I am finished with each request. My question is: Is there a way to populate a board based on an “if statement?” Basically, when I am finished with a class request and click done, can the information I have carry over to another board, based on whether it is an associate or agent event?

Yep, trying using an automation which triggers when you reach the final status in the workflow. Should allow you to copy the item to another board. That’s just off the top of my head though.

What I mean is, can my original board populate two different boards based on what type of request they are? That’s where the ‘if’ comes in. So if the request was for an agent event, my board would carry over to the agent board, same for when it’s an associate event. It would populate an associate event board.

Yes you can make it so information or items are sent to different boards depending on variables. Some automations can have multiple events(via custom automations) but it’s just easier to make a separate automation. In your case, one for the “Agent Board” and one for the “Associate Board”. If you need help setting up the specific automation(s) let me know.

That would be awesome! Can you send me a calendar invite? When are you available to discuss?

The earliest I can do is Thursday next week, 12pm to 1pm EST(Monday has big two day online developer conference Tues & Wed you should check out). I can lay out a simple step by step process with photos which details sending items from one board to two others and then you can apply it to your boards. From there you can iterate on and expand as needed.

If you are available next week, I’ll prepare an example with images for you by Thursday and then we can discuss then.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

That’s fantastic! That’d be great. I feel like I am so close on this, but just need a little guidance. I really appreciate your help Andrew!

Hi Andrew: I wanted to check in, will you have this process outlined for me tomorrow?

Yes I will share the photos and step by step process here tomorrow between 12pm-1pm EST. See you then!

Wonderful! Look forward to it! Justin

Justin @juihlei,

I’ll give a brief explanation and attach some photos.

1. Have your “high level board”, in this case I called it Learning & Development. This is where you finish your class request and set a status to done. Set this up with all the columns you want included in your “lower level boards”.
    1a. Minimum columns are
  2. Set up both lower level boards, Agencies & Associates for example. For simplicity you should make them the same column type and name, but that isn’t necessary and the order isn’t important.
    2a. One additional column needs to be added, “Connect Boards”. Choose the higher level board and link. Uncheck the “multiple items” option as it’s not needed.
  3. Start building the automations on your high level board. Main one is: When Status changes to Done and Event Status is Associates/Agencies, create and item in Associates/Agencies and connect them in the selected board.*
    3a. You are going to make a separate automation, one for Associates as the Event Status and one of Agencies as the Event Status.
  4. Make sure to fill in the “item” section of the automations. If your columns have identical names then it should auto populate. In my example, I included a bunch of supported columns for “connected boards”. Not every column will connect or mirror currently. If you run into a column that won’t connect then let me know as I’m familiar with some workarounds.
    4.a You will see I also created some basic helpful automations such as moving to groups, setting dates etc. Feel free to use those as well or add others that help your workflow.
  5. Test your automation! When you have an item with Event Status of Agencies or Associates and you choose Done on the other status, it should create a copy of the data per column on the appropriate board. I’ve include pictures of what it should look like.

Hope all this helps! If you have any additional questions please feel free to reach out.

Image Links:
High Level Board Overview(Pre Automations)
Low Level Board - Associates (Pre Automation)
Low Level Board - Agencies(Pre Automation)
Status IF Status Automation
High Level Board - Post Automation
Low Level Board - Associates - Post Automation
Low Level Board - Agencies - Post Automation
All Automations(Optional Ones Included)

Hi Andrew:

I’m on step 3 and cannot select a board. It makes me select a specific line item and then it does not allow me to finish the automation statement. Can we take this to a phone call at this point as well?

Regards,

Justin

image001.gif

image002.gif

image003.gif

@juihlei

Send me a zoom invite, I’m available for the next hour.

Hi Andrew:

I actually was just on lunch and have a meetings from 1-3 EST. Are you available later in the day or perhaps sometime tomorrow?

Justin

image001.gif

image002.gif

image003.gif

@juihlei

I’m not available later today or tomorrow unfortunately. Can you take a screenshot of Automation center when you are trying to create it and it won’t let you pick a board? I might be able to help from there. Otherwise I won’t really know my availability for next week until after tomorrow.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Hi Andrew:

Here’s where I get stuck.

• I’m able to get to the Create new item step, but not past it.
  • The options available at this point do not include either of the boards I connected. The statement isn’t give me an ‘in’ option.

I hope these screen shots help.

Justin

image001.gif

image002.gif

image003.gif

@juihlei Simple fix Justin, you’ve chosen the wrong automation. The automation you are using only creates an item in the same board. You need one to create it another board.

Look for the one I outlined in this photo:
Imgur

Andrew: Thanks ever so much! This worked! I really appreciate it! Kind Regards, Justin

image001.gif

image002.gif

image003.gif

1 Like

Great to hear! Feel free to PM me anytime you have other questions.

Will do!

image001.gif

image002.gif

image003.gif