Pulse indentation (sub-task concept)

Hi Julia, Why dont you, for now, just improve the Check list by adding a few additional column types per check list item like a Who, date and status. At least then we can use it kind of like a sub task. That said, its natural for a task in life to have many sub tasks. Its just the way we live and work. To ask users to elevate a sub pulse/task to a pulse/task is missing the point. If l build a roof, the roof has many things that need to be done before the roof is finished. Thats just life right?

J

Hi @WeeJohnny

We’re actually in the process of working on a form of sub-tasks. They will work as a sort of board nested as a pop-out through the parent item, meaning you can add all of that information and see it from the parent item.

It’s still being tested in alpha - once it’s in beta testing, we’d be happy for you to try it and give us your feedback :slight_smile:

4 Likes

+1 for the step of implementing the possibility for indentation of items. It would help me a lot to create more of a ‘tree structure’ in a board. See also for what type of board this would help me How to create a sitemap (or site list) board?

Is there a way to get on the Alpha testing group?

Hi Julia,

OMG! I can not wait. Please let me know ASAP.

J image001.png

Hi, this subtask conversation is really interesting! I’ve noticed that we have the need for something similar, as we have a higher level “overview” board. However, we do not want teams to post all their possible tasks, as even now having bundled up most of the smaller tasks our pulse amount is over 200. At first I thought having subtasks would be great ( and still agree) but I’ve started to think that being able to link a group of pulses on Board A to one pulse (that bundles all the smaller tasks in the higher level board) on Board B (like Danny’s suugestion no.2 above). This way our teams could work with their own boards and have all the smaller tasks as their own pulses, while the management could get a overview from Board B. In case people viewing board B want to know about the bundled stuff in more detail they would be able to navigate easily to the exact group that has the bundled stuff as their own pulses in one group. To clarify, the higher level board B could have a pulse named “small operational development tasks Q4” which would then have a link to a group with the same name in team board A.

Happy to see that you are open to suggestions!

2 Likes

I would love to be included in the group this goes to when it’s in beta. Sub tasks would help immensely for what my team uses MDC for.

We’re actually working on the idea still as we got some feedback from our alpha testers which made us reconsider the direction we were going down. We’ll update once we hear about the new form of sub-tasks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would like to put in my two cents about this topic. I think it would be very useful if we could have the item created through your suggestion of automation link to the original item.

Agreed! This would be very useful!

1 Like

@Julia-monday.com - I understand that you have a view of the sub-task concept. Let me explain my point of view and please be so kind and share with the rest of the team.

I’ve been using (and recommending the use of the platform) Monday for quite a few years now (still remember dapulse!) with various industries. While the idea of having sub-tasks may not work best when using in “tasks” format, there are other types of uses that would greatly benefit.

For example, using it as a project management tool for a construction company, having sub-tasks would be a game-changer! I’ve tried various approaches to get around it. None of them fit the bill.

As others have voiced, there are plenty of instances where the best and most straight-forward approach is to use sub-tasks. The development team needs to think of the platform being used by teams with a huge need for hierarchy based on the type of boards.

Thanks for listening and we surely hope this will be implemented quickly. I’m surprised it’s taking that much convincing.

3 Likes

For example, using it as a project management tool for a construction company, having sub-tasks would be a game-changer!

That’s us. Everything we do consists of tasks and sub-tasks.

Checklists do not work for us other than for very granular micro-tasks. For one thing, you can’t see the contents of checklists without clicking on each individual item/pulse which slows down team meetings when we need to discuss some sub-tasks.

I’m surprised it’s taking that much convincing.

Same here to be honest.

4 Likes

Hello! any news on this develpment?
this is really a must have, and i think most of us are waiting for this one.

2 Likes

Bump! Any news? I cant wait to use it!

Regards!

1 Like

Bump! What is the status on this? Can we get it on Monday.Labs for those who want to try it out during the Alpha/Beta testing phase?

3 Likes

Can we get it on Monday.Labs for those who want to try it out during the Alpha/Beta testing phase?

Yes, please.

I’d at least like to get some idea of which direction the devs are taking with implementation.

2 Likes

I agree. I’d love to test this out.

Can anyone from M.com let me know where we are with sub tasks? We are so wanting this facility. Hot having it causing us to have to use wso many work arounds. As for the argument that, sub taks can get lost. Check lists can get even more lost. We just need a group to be able to have sub tasks like most other Project Management tools. I am being put under pressure to move the business away from Monday.com due to it not having subtasks!!

mamny thanks,

john Godley

1 Like

Please we need some feedback on this…

In our company the main process we have are based on having sub-items or sub-tasks.

Using group names as main task and pulses as sub tasks doesnt work. Groups are only groups.

2 Likes

Hi there everyone,

Thank you for your comments and we understand the need for subtasks. Since its a new part of our product, we are still in development stage. We will be in touch when we have a beta version and would love to get early feedback from you all regarding this. We appreciate you being patient and we will update once we have one!
Best,
Naomi

1 Like

I’m sure you on your roadmap, you have an estimated completion date for both beta and live versions. Can you at least let us know a timeframe?

2 Likes