Simultaneous time tracking

Thank you for the detailed use case example! We will definitely take this into account and think what can be developed to give you the solution you are looking for!

1 Like

@danaaviv is there any movement here?? Our company has just spent 3 months developing our boards, with the understanding that this program had an in-depth time tracking ability. As we’ve finally launched the system to our staff, we notice that the time tracking is no where near functioning even at a basic level. We are extremely disappointed and hoping you have something in the works to be able to track multiple people at the same time, on the same task without using a subitem (as we use subitems for more details within the specific task). The ability to see view everyone’s time, and filter by person/day/week/month/job etc would be most beneficial. I need to know if these things are coming or we will once again need to find another software. Are there any integrations that are able to handle these basic things? Do you not have developers who could easily make this happen? I really don’t understand the whole up. The whole point for having this app, was that we could have everything for one project in one place, and be able to see how long it takes us to accomplish tasks so we can establish how much work we have already booked, and if we have room to take on more. Without these abilities, we are missing a huge piece of what we need.

2 Likes

I understand Alicia. However, at the moment we have been focusing on other areas of the product, such as permissions, linking boards etc.
We try to make everyone happy and develop the features you all need. Having said that we do prioritize according to the number of requests and development effort. At the moment, it isn’t planned in the upcoming Qs to support time tracking for multiple people. but if something does change soon, we will let you all know.

I tried to do separate time trackers for each of us, but if I start one of my coworkers’ times or add it manually for them, it counts everything as my hours and tells me there’s a conflict if I’m working on my own tracker at the same time. The formula column won’t add the “conflicts” in, so I’m still having to track billable time by hand.

1 Like

This topic really need to fire up. My team has been using Monday for over half of a year. We have been trying to break down every tasks into sub-tasks to track each person’s effort, but sometimes our tasks were too small to be broken down deeper whilst they still needed more than 1 person to handle. If we counted the effort in sub-items, they wouldn’t be able to be exported to excel. That was a terrible experience which can’t be covered up by a nicely seen UI.
Really hope this hot potato will be upgraded soon.

3 Likes

Fully agree this should be a main priority for this team. Just bought a 10 seat subscription and spent weeks putting together boards. I didn’t even consider that this would not be a function of time tracking. I cant imagine only one person being allowed to work on a task at a time and that being acceptable. There is no way I would have a functioning board with 10+ columns of time tracking per task. Should be a disclaimer for the whole site- ‘time tracking is not a functional part of Monday so you don’t waste time if you need to track time in a reasonable fashion’

1 Like

Totally agree - not sure how Adobe Creative Cloud integration was more pressing than this. As a principal in a creative agency we have zero need for Adobe integration, but would like the basic functionality of having more than one person track their time on a task.

4 Likes

Any update on this basic item from the team?

Funny to see that Monday has integrated an invoicing tool, but is not able to track time in a decent way. Which makes the latter completely superfluous.

The product team rather focusses on adding new features (Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Teams, Button columns that we just need to start thinking of use case, etc.) instead of making sure the existing features meet their customers needs.

3 Likes

Any update on when this feature is planned?

1 Like

This is an issue we have been having as well. We need to be able to track all staff hours on a certain project and convert this to a monetary value (each staff member is charged at a different rate,

There are a stupid amount of integrations in this software but it doesn’t seem that anyone actually sat down to think what would be the most basic features to include. We seriously can’t link all our low level boards to one high level overview board? How was that not to very first idea with building this? Why would I want to create a high level board to summarise a low level board? Should that not just be a feature of a low level board?

I digress… the amount of ‘work arounds’ suggested by customer service makes me feel like this package is not particularly suitable for the market. The time tracking feature is likely key for the vast majority of users and any business which has multiple projects at any one time would need an overview.

Stop adding integrations to tack extra logos on the sales pitch and add the key features that are required.

1 Like

Seriously starting to regret my choice for Monday. Almost 2 years after flagging this massive shortcoming, still no solution.

When can we expect this malfunction to be solved?

Hi @danhall76 - Welcome to the community. I’m sorry to hear you are facing some serious frustrations with the time tracking part of monday․com. While I can’t promise to have the answer to your issue, I would be happy to chat with you for a bit on Zoom and see if I can help you find a solution. We’ve worked with several professional services and consulting firms who do complex time reporting, and have been able to find monday․com methods that work well for them.

If you would like to book a time to chat, you can schedule a free strategy session with us here: Book Polished Geek: more with monday.com

Bump

Any updated? Our agency just started using Monday and we’re extremely surprised only one person can track time on a task.

A Suggestion on how to Quickly Accommodate Simultaneous Time Tracking

I see from the boards you have not implemented simultaneous time tracking. One quick quality of life feature or workaround you could add for agencies is an indicator on the subitems icon that a clock is running or not running. Alternatively you could change the color of the time total on the column that is created if you choose “show summary on parent item” for time tracking in a sub item. For some reason this exists if you only have one line item time tracking, but not if you have multiple (subitems is so close to being a solid workaround).

We are using time tracking within subitems to be able to track multiple team members times on an individual project (simultaneous time tracking workaround). However, it is incredibly frustrating that we cannot see at-a-glance that the clock is running if the sub items are collapsed. We would have to expand all of the subitems for all rows to see where clocks are running throughout all projects, which would really undo the at-a-glance nature of your platform.

Based on the number of agencies asking for simultaneous time tracking as a feature request, I think this would be a quick viable workaround or stopgap measure for the many agency principals that are needing this. Putting an indicator that auto-toggles on the subitems icon, a css rule on the time summary, or allowing your already existing icon to be visible when multiple subitems exist would not require any manipulation to the overall client data stores, so I’m assuming this would be a far less complicated patch than implementing a fully overhauled time tracking feature at your core level.

In short, simultaneous time tracking mostly works at the subitem level, but a visual indicator that time is running when subitems are collapsed would make us agency managers very happy, and I think most would consider this a fast viable fix to the lack of an actual robust simultaneous time tracking solution. Please consider.

We’ve been experimenting with Monday for a couple of days and already we’ve identified the lack of multiple workers tracking against the same line item to be a major stumbling block in whether we move the company over to Monday. We too have discovered the subitem workaround, but when we pay for enterprise we ideally wouldn’t be deploying workarounds right from the off.

We’d really like to see this feature added to the software, else it may very quickly be a deal-breaker for us.

Hi @DangerFarms-Chris - check out the thread below. @Thomas-Omnitas is building a sweet time tracking app that will give functionality similar to Harvest and other dedicated time tracking tools. This looks like it will solve your issues.

Thanks,
Mark

1 Like