Start and end time in date column

Anything you would like to share about your new problem that we can anticipate?

No no, just a scheduling problem for us created by the wonderful one-hour default that the Date Column creates.

1 Like

Sorry, I donā€™t quite understand what you mean by your question.

After this length of time, we can only assume that start and end times for timeline or date values are not going to be implemented. Monday has a lot of functionality that gives me the impression this is not the fault of the developers. It can only be mismanagement.

I just donā€™t understand what kind of projects itā€™s possible to manage without the ability to schedule events with a specific duration. Iā€™m in a position where my company will look to me to recommend or discourage the roll-out of Monday company-wide. I definitely cannot recommend it based on this.

3 Likes

@Matias.Monday
Any news?
G-company has made the ā€œCustom Calendarā€ app, but it is way to expensive, and limited to a few columns.
Is that what we have to do, spend that kind of money on a basic feature that should be included?
You have come out with a lot of good updates lately, and the app has gotten much better, but we are still waiting for this basic feature.

@BiancaT @Orit @Julietteb @alessandra @roymann

Hey Thomas! Regretfully, no new updates to report at the moment. We understand this isnā€™t the answer you all were hoping for, however we do want to remain honest about the where the feature stands in terms of our (near) future release plan. We have do have many things in the works based on feedback weā€™ve received so please bear with us - we certainly want to support all of our users feature requests, and at some stage, we hope this can be possible, however for some requests this requires a high level of technical complexity that takes a fair bit of time to implement :pray: We hope you can understand, but recognise any frustration in advance!

1 Like

Hi Bianca,

Since May 2019 (!!), we have all been waiting for an update to help us with this (basic) feature. Our question isnā€™t that crazy. We just want to be able to manage our project planning with a program made for project planning. How do you guys at Monday.com think you can manage a project if you canā€™t fill calendars with tasks that take longer than an hour?

Your colleague gave us hope in 2021 that something would finally happen: ā€˜ā€˜Hi everyone! Iā€™m excited to let you know that our developers have this on the roadmap, and we are hoping to roll out an improved version of the Date column later this year. Stay tuned for updates later on. And thanks so much for all your feedback. Itā€™s been so helpful for our team.ā€™ā€™

I think itā€™s ridiculous that nothing is done with this topic. You guys already let us wait for 3.5 years and I think this problem will never be solved. Unfortunately, our annual subscription has recently been automatically renewed. There will definitely not be another renewal and if it is possible to cancel our current subscription it will be done.

Apologies for the less kind tone in this post. Until now, we have all waited very patiently from May 2019 and have given you all the time and space you need, but my patience has now run out.

1 Like

Hi Community,
My company has just engaged monday.com as a provider of an important tool for us, the project management tool. Iā€™m diving into the possibilities this tool gives us, I know Iā€™m just started, but I have found this BIG issue here - How could we become more efficient (which is the goal of this tool) if we have such limit as not been able to use a calculated formula in a timeline/automation?

I have a ā€œcreation Logā€ column with the starting date of the task (input)
I have a ā€œnumberā€ column with the days the task needs (input)
I have a ā€œformulaā€ column with the Due Date

But i cannot do anything with the result that comes out of the calculation (timeline, automation, etc.)
I would love to hear that Iā€™m totally wrong. Iā€™m praying toā€¦

Thank you.

Thanks for this reply. It is good to have this issue recognized. I would also like to underline that it is not simply a feature request. The fact that the Column creates a default one-hour event in the calendar which is never a true instance causes ongoing problems daily for us and others.

Hi Bianca,

Thanks for you reply. We are asking for for this feature for many many years, with a lot of your valuable customers. Everybody knows that we can not make a proper agenda with just an 1 hour timeframe. Our installation teams can work from 1 till 8 hours, and have to go to several customers at 1 day. All our leads, contacts we have generated the last 2 year are in Monday.com, so itā€™s very very hard to change to an other software tool. Can you please discuss this feature with your team? I think itā€™s clear how important this feature is.

Thanks

Niels

My Company was looking into Monday mainly for sharing the calendar function across 5 people but looking at this thread i cant put in a start and stop time which for us is a massive omission
As this thread has gone on for three years this seems to be not a priority for your Dev team ?
Are you looking into this? if not then we will have to look elsewhere.
Bit silly reallyā€¦

2 Likes

Just started my trial with Monday.com
I assumed a duration feature for a specific day existed. I own a catering/food truck company, and need to schedule multiple events on the same day sometimes, and need to ensure that we donā€™t double book. Any work arounds for this? or should I go with Honeybook, or another software?

1 Like

Hello, I work in the field of media and television and a scheduling period (hours : minutes) is essential tool for our activities.

1 Like

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your continue feedback and interest. Weā€™ve discussed your request with the team responsible for our column features and they agree with the need to include the start and end time in the date column. As of now, itā€™s not immediately planned, due to other priorities and team capacity.

We would love to keep hearing how this feature would impact your workflow. Requests like yours help guide us in prioritizing the features that our customers care about the most. So keep the ideas coming because your feedback makes a difference.

Have another idea? Submit it by creating a new topic.

2 Likes

We must reiterate that this is not a feature request. It is a problem that a default one-hour item is created when an end time cannot be specified. Currently we are forced to add end times as notes in the titles of items and manually update all calendars derived from the date column. Misunderstandings, double-bookings and conflicts continually result from this situation.

Great idea @Eltjo and thanks to everyone for voting and sharing feedback. Weā€™ve discussed this request with the team responsible for our column features and they agree with the need to include the start and end time in the date column. As of now, itā€™s not immediately planned, due to other priorities and team capacity.

We would love to keep hearing how this feature would impact your workflow and will keep you updated with any status changes. Requests like yours help guide us in prioritizing the features that our customers care about the most. So keep voting and sharing ideas coming because your feedback makes a difference.

Have another idea? Submit it by opening a new discussion topic.

1 Like

Thanks @Julietteb , I hope the team find the time to add feature. It still would be very useful to us and our product teams.

Have a great day.

I just came to this forum to see if I could find an answer to the problem I was having. This is exactly what I need! I will admit, I was a little discouraged to see that Monday has been aware of this issue for almost 4 years and has yet to implement this feature.

For me, this would help tremendously with task management, i.e. blocking out time on my calendar to work on certain tasks/items. Then I could plan out my week more with a realistic visual of how much time I have (or donā€™t have!) to take on more tasks.

2 Likes

Same here, disappointing to see the feature is not here yet, after four years of people requesting itā€¦

1 Like

@Julietteb - Our organization is also in need of this feature. Disappointed that it does not exist yet. We have already started looking for a different project management software that can provide this fairly basic level of scheduling/planning.

1 Like