Timeline from start and end date columns

Hello !

Does anyone have any news or trick to automate the population of start and end date of a timeline ?

In my case I would love to set the start date of the timeline when the item is created and update the end date as the deadline changes.
So then I can see when I strated working on a task and when I finaly complketed it without changing everything manually…

Thanks in advance for any replies !

3 Likes

Hi Bas,

I am currently testing your app. Is there a way to use a formula column as an input rather than a date column?
Use case: We calculate an actual start and end date for a task because quite often our tasks are delayed and therefore we would like to generate a new timeline based on these inputs.

Thanks

Hi @anayer

I don’t think this will be possible as the output of a formula column can never be used in any automation. The output is generated client side (within you browser) and the backend (where the automations live) is not aware of these “client side columns”.

I cannot find this automation, was it removed?

Hi Johnnie

The installation link might have changed due to the marketplace rollout. The app can be installed through the market place or with the direct installation link: monday.com: Where Teams Get Work Done

Yes i also would like this feature. This would be very useful

Echoing the feedback here! If the timeline and end date/due date columns could be automated, especially factoring in the dependencies, this would dramatically increase the effectiveness of our boards. Right now, it’s way too manual and unreliable when I’m building out a project plan. Please prioritize this feature!!

4 Likes

I too need this! My Ideal situation would be this:
Create a board template (pretty simple task list, always at the same time intervals based on the “start date”) so that whenever I create the board that is time 0 if you will, and then in my template all of the “due dates” in the respective date columns auto populate based on a set delay/leadtime from the creation date.

4 Likes

Yes! This is exactly what I would like it to do.

Hi @gallagm2 & @robertrizzo - You can do this! You have to use the app functionality and create what’s called a Workspace Template. This creates a set of one or more templates that will automatically adjust the dates: (31) monday - Apps — Mozill...

If you would like some help migrating your existing templates to be Workspace Templates, you can book a time with me here and I’ll be happy to walk you through it: Book a call with Polished Geek: Do more with monday․com

I am also interested in this! Please let us all know when there are updates

All,

Can the app “Start + End = Timeline” (see marketplace) help out here, it converts or syncs timeline with dates columns and vice versa.

YES! This is what I’m trying to do, too!

@monday-team Please add this ability. Either being able to populate the timeline based on start/end dates or vice versa would be a huge help. It would also impact certain integrations (e.g. JIRA) as JIRA doesn’t have a concept of a timeline view so pulling in start/end dates from there to populate timelines would enable visualizing delivery timelines.

Trying to use a Gantt chart with 2 or 4 different dates (target start/end vs actual start/end) is impossible due to each date receiving its own line item.

1 Like

I found a way around this using subitems as the start and finish dates then mirroring the two date to the main task. This video from the monday.com team is helpful in creating the mirror: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom
You can then drive the dates of the sub items using automate and dependencies.

Would still be nice to have a built in method of doing this. Hope this is helpful to someone.

1 Like

Is there a way to do this without having to install an app?

2 Likes

Hi guys
new to Monday.com and enjoying the plethora features !
has there been any update or workaround to this request?
i love that we are able to drag the timeline on the timeline chart/gantt chart but the Due Date column isn’t updated accordingly to the last date of the timeline.

1 Like

I would also like to have this function as a built-in one; for me, it is an essential component when setting up Gantt charts, and it should not be something you have to additionally pay for.

1 Like

Same request here… Things like that, make it really difficult to devolpe efficient workflows within monday.com

Marketplace apps are here to help you to develop these workflows :slight_smile: For this particular one it is around 40 USD lifetime and for unlimited boards.