To use a formula column to update a status column

We would love to ability to have a simple “if text contains” formula that could update a status column. For instance: if a text contains “ABC” then update status to “ABC”. This would help us use the color-coding that the status column offers to keep better track of our tasks. I realize this is a pretty simple feature request, but it would help us in many of our processes, especially as our boards grow and we rely more heavily on at-a-glance views of our boards.

4 Likes

Check out this other post, I think it’s what you’re after.

2 Likes

Hello im after the same thing.
@Krishele i have readed this post but its not what @mrdjallen is looking for.
If i understood well, we are talking about controlling a status column value (make it change) from a formula column…

actually the status column only can be changed from an automation, the formula column would be great to control this.

4 Likes

Hey @mrdjallen,

Our developers are in the process of working on custom automations. The ability to build out an automation and conditions from scratch. I will provide feedback to my developers regarding formula support.

Lisa

8 Likes

Thats Fabby news. I have been wanting this facility too. Your automations are great but to be able to do custom automations will be great. That and SUB TASKS. Did l mention SUB TASKS yet :0)

3 Likes

Agreed! Subtasks and Custom automations are a must for my team to continue to use Monday.

@Lisa-monday.com Hi! Any updates on this? Thanks :smiley:

Alex

@Lisa-monday.com hi ! Do you have any news on:

• Custom automations
  • Sub tasks
  • AutoId improved column
  • File attaching support on internal notifications and external email integrations
  • Form designer for notifications and email integrations
  • Manually timetracking capabilty

???

2 Likes

+1 to above. I’d like an ETA as well.

This is what @lauralev told me about the Custom Automations ETA:

At the moment, I don’t have an ETA but I do know that it is ready for a soft alpha release where we will get some feedback internally before rolling out a beta version. We do have some other things in the pipeline for automations and integrations that are coming first but my hope is within a few iterations our team will be able to release a beta version

1 Like

+1 to this! We have a budget tracking formula column which works great, and it would be great if when it went below zero it could update a status. Alternatively, conditional formatting would be a good fix too.

2 Likes

I know that @gibo and @rob at Omnidea just finished a Proof of Concept monday.com app that can turn any column into a “formula column” hence you can still use the dynamic result with the automations based on status changes and dates.
their solution is really cool! :heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart:

4 Likes

Yes, as said by @Thomas-Omnitas, we are now developing a monday.com app which can perform calculations in date and number columns, usable then in automations.
Our app will be available later this month to all customers.

4 Likes

Following this thread and looking to do something similar… based on a Status field, assign a formula field a number (score). Having some issues with the formula though… any insight into what I’m doing wrong?

IF({Sales Stage Formula}=Lead,”3”,IF({Sales Stage Formula}=Qualification,“5”,IF({Sales Stage Formula}=Application/Test/Evaluation,“7”,IF({Sales Stage Formula}=Close,“10”))))

Any help would be much appreciated!!

John

Disregard my above… Monday.com helped out. Here’s the correct formula:

IF({Sales Stage Formula}=“1 - Lead”, “3”, IF({Sales Stage Formula}=“6 - Close”, “10”, IF({Sales Stage Formula}=“2 - Qualification”, “5”, IF({Sales Stage Formula}=“3 - Application/Test/Evaluation”,“7”))))

Happy day!

Hi there @Lisa-monday.com, @ lauraglev and co.,

I’ve just started using Monday.com but I would like to use a formula colum to set a status.

For example My sales % is a forumla column but I would like to set a status next to it, so I can automate some actions?

e.g.
IF Sales% = 25% Set Status Red
IF Sales% = 50% Set Status Amber
IF Sales% = 75% Set Status Green

Is this possible ?

Thanks in advance,

coll…

Hi @CollMTE! Thanks for being part of the community :slight_smile:

Using a formula, you are only able to create outputs within the Formula Column. It will not allow you to make adjustments to other columns. You can use text and emojis within your formulas in order to create custom labels in the Formula Column, though, as in the example below:

IF({Number}>=0,“Positive :green_circle:”,“Negative :red_circle:”)

Do you think that could work for your use case?

2 Likes

Ah Melissa,

That might work! let me have a try.

Thanks!

coll…

Thank you @melissav-monday.com, @mrdjallen, @CollMTE you inspired me to create a formula with this output:

3 Likes

Nice!! I like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Rob, can you provide a status update on this. You had written that a monday.com app was going to be available later in June that can perform calculations on number columns, useable then in automations. Is it ready? It is just what I need.

1 Like