Two-way linked with 'Link To Item' column (potential subtask solution)

Hi all,

I wanted to share an idea I have been thinking about a while now. Many time working with the Link To Item (LTI) column I find myself wanting this new feature:

The Two-way linked Link To Column(s). Whenever I link an issue (pulse) via the LTI in one board, it should be connected vice versa from the other board via a LTI column.

So when I create a board (in our case a User Story board) I would love to divide the User Stories into subtasks. Creating a LTI column and select the subtask board (in our case the Backlog board) I could directly create my subtasks from the User Story board into my Backlog board, Being the subtasks straight away connected to the right User Story.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers,
Eltjo

HI @Eltjo! We’ve gotten this feedback actually from other users as well and have passed this to our team to consider implementing - stay tuned on this one! Cheers!

3 Likes

YES! This is something that is much needed!

1 Like

Hi @lauraglev , happy to hear that it is taken in consideration! When the beta is released please let me know, i am happy to test and provide feedback. All the best, Eltjo

1 Like

Related

3 Likes

Hi Laura!

Any updates on this one? Would be awesome, thanks.

Cheers,
Eltjo

Hey there! Just to clarify, are you looking for the ability to link an item to a subitem via the link to item column? We do have subitems available now, just incase you did not activate them yet!

In terms of linking, this should be coming somewhat soon! You can learn more about the progress we are making and stay up to date here!

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

1 Like

Hi @brett-monday.com,

Thanks for reaching out. I did activate subtasks on my account and we are starting to use them on a more regular base. We like subtasks, but the subtasks have little to do with my request.
The Two-way connecting Link To Column(s), as I imagine it, shows the connection on both boards. Whenever I link an issue (pulse) via the LTI in one board, it should be shown as a connected item on the other board via a LTI column.
This way people can see how many items are liked on both of the boards via the LTI column.

Cheers, Eltjo

1 Like

@brett-monday.com we desperately need this feature too!

I think this is what I’m after too.

I have automation that creates a linked item in another board when an item’s status is changed to “Docs”. I thought that it would link them to each other, but it only seems to be one way (the new item is linked to the old item but not vice versa).

Am I doing something wrong or is this intended behaviour?

At the moment the link to item column is a one way connection. We are discussing the advantages of having a two way connection.

For me The two way connection would work because I could break down an issue on a board into tasks on another board, knowing they are connected.
What is the purpose of the two way connection for your setup ?

Plz vote on this topic on the top of this item. Monday.com Is monitoring these votes

Just to have them connected for easy reference really. I’ve just set up a ‘Testing’ board for testing new software features etc, and then, once tested, the automation creates a new task in the ‘Documentation’ board.

Just thought it’d be nice to be able to easily find the related test so that we can change the status / check the notes etc…