Unable to query auto_number column

I’m using the items_by_column_values query, and I’m querying text/date column on my board without any issues, but when I try to query the auto number column, the results set is empty.
I’ve tried with prefix and without, auto number by group/board, nothing seems to work.

1 Like

Hi @ronid

Welcome to the community. As far as I know the auto_number column is generated at client side (your browser) and that is probably the reason why it can’t be retrieved at server side (your query). The other thing is when you reorder the items, the auto_number will change (another proof that it is client side). That is the reason I created server side Auto ID which allows for pretext and simple number formats.

1 Like

Hey hey @ronid :wave:

I’d like to join in with @basdebruin here and welcome you to our awesome community :heart: I hope you enjoy your stay and find the answers you are looking for.

From my end, I can definitely confirm @basdebruin’s line of thought - the Auto Number column is indeed calculated on the client-side at this point in time, so there is no way to query that with the API (as it can only grab data from the server).

I hope this helps :slight_smile: Definitely check out Bas’s solution for the Auto ID server-side though, it’s an awesome way to achieve a great result.

-Alex