Update Automation

One of the salesperson on my team pointed out it would make their work easier if, when they write an update on a Contact, it could also appear associated to the Account that Contact belongs to. I couldn’t find a way to make that connection with a custom automation, and Monday.com support team told me it wasn’t possible. It would be really nice to have that possibility, as it would be the most practical way for our salespeople to never forget an update was made regarding a certain Account (even if the update was made for a specific contact within that account).

As an additional note, we don’t want to create updates as items because we want them automatically timestamped. Hence this feature request.

Kind regards!

Hello @sara and welcome to the community!

I hope you like it here :muscle:

If I understood correctly, what you want is a way of “relating” a specific update to a user, so that that user would have the possibility of seeing all the updates “related” to them.

Is this accurate?

Looking forward to hearing from you :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Matias

Hi Matias,

Thank you. It’s more having something similar to a ‘mirror’ function, but for the update feature. So for instance, let’s say I’m liaising with a contact ‘John Smith’ that works for ‘HSBC’ (this would be the Company or as you call it, Account).

I will write my communication updates on the Contact item ‘John Smith’. But when I’m in the Companies board (Accounts for you), I would like the update to be signalled in the Companies item ‘HSBC’ as well, so I can keep it always in mind, and easily associate that the Contact I spoke to, John Smith, is from HSBC.

I hope that makes sense?..

Kind regards,
Sara

| Matias Matias.Monday monday.com Team Member
January 25 |

• | - |

Hello @sara and welcome to the community!

I hope you like it here :muscle:

If I understood correctly, what you want is a way of “relating” a specific update to a user, so that that user would have the possibility of seeing all the updates “related” to them.

Is this accurate?

Looking forward to hearing from you :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Matias

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Conker Cloud Innovations Ltd trading as Conker Group a company Registered in England and Wales Number 2359270
George Square, George Street, Nottingham, NG1 3BE
The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient and may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient please do not use, read, forward, copy, print or share its contents. Please contact the sender immediately and then delete the email. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  Conker Group accepts no responsibility for viruses and the recipient should check this email and any attachments for their presence, before opening.
1 Like

Hello @sara!

Thank you for that explanation :slightly_smiling_face:

I will share this feedback with our team so that they can review it :muscle:

Cheers,
Matias

1 Like

@Matias.Monday - Did anything happen with this as I too am looking at the specific need?

@abonsey

This might help… Update Magic #1 has a recipe that will copy updates to connected items:

Jim - The Monday Man
Get Custom Apps, Integrations & Automations for monday

Hello @abonsey,

What is your particular use case? What would you need exactly to happen in our system to help your flow?

@JCorrell @Matias.Monday I don’t think that will work, but comes close.
We have a contacts board that has the Name and email address in it, this is linked to the accounts board so you can see contacts for that account.
The Update Magic wouldn’t work as it would be unbale to find the same contact name on the Accounts board?

Hello again @abonsey,

Thank you for that information!

And you would want that whenever a new update is created in an item from the “contacts” board, the same update is added to the item of the account that the contact belongs to (in the second board).

Is this accurate?

@Matias.Monday That’s correct. The item on the ‘Accounts’ board is the company name and the ‘contact’ name is a linked column which makes it more difficult.

Hello again,

The only way I can think of to achieve this would be to create a custom app with some script that gets a webhook whenever an update is created, checks to which account the contact belongs, and then creates the same update in the other board using the API.

This would involve coding and an always running server or similar solution.

Would that be a possibility for you?

That could work. How would I go about that?

Hello again @abonsey,

Here is the documentation about how to create an app.

You can use an integration feature in an app with a built-in trigger “When an update is created”. You would get the a payload sent to your run URL in your custom action. In the request, you will see a JWT inside “Authorization”. You would need to decode it and in it you will see a shortLivedToken. You can use that shortlived token to get the account ID with a query (read this article).

You can then create the update with a new HTTP request (read this article).

I hope that helps!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Matias

@Matias.Monday Thanks I’ll take a look

Glad to help @abonsey !